turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pot call finishes and techniques?

Started by Longbeardfever4ever, January 26, 2012, 08:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longbeardfever4ever

Once I'm outta this sling I plan on turning some pots.  I'm looking for a finish for a wood like walnut that dries quickly and seals.  I'm really considering 5+ coats of shellac because of how fast it dries. Plus it dries hard and seals. But is there risk of moisture/deet damage to shellac? Is tung oil a better option? Thanks!

Mike
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

JELLYHEAD

Paint, Lacquer, Matte Clear, 1qt., Each

Part Number: SHW-BSP307 More Detail ...

Estimated Ship Date: 1/30/2012
summit racing, dry's real fast.  :icon_thumright:

woodwzrd

For what it is worth I have seen some different finishes tested for the purpose of finishing calls. CA is by far the most durable but very difficult to do on a pot. Lacquer, poly, shellac, and tung oil are all ok but just ok. They all suffer some degree of deterioration form insect repelant and repeated moisture contact. Deet will almost melt lacquer of a call.

The next best option to CA according to the test I saw and in my experience is Tru Oil gun stock finish. It dries in an hour or two and builds quite nicely.

Basser69

I do not make pots but on my trumpets I have been using polycrylic made by minwax. 3-5 coats and rock hard. No idea what deet or something like that will do to it. CA has felt me fits trying to figure it out

VanHelden Game Calls

Just make some samples and test.  There are alot of choices.

As a wise callmaker has told me over and over.  No such thing as a fast, easy, durable, economical finish.  Its a balance and you must decide which of these qualities is most important to you.

smurf

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on January 27, 2012, 07:56:25 AM

As a wise callmaker has told me over and over.  No such thing as a fast, easy, durable, economical finish.  Its a balance and you must decide which of these qualities is most important to you.
very well said.
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

TarheelTurk

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on January 27, 2012, 07:56:25 AM

X3, I have found out, thru trail an error I like the finish Tru Oil produces. When I/we sell a call I put an instruction sheet w/ the caller warning against deet and sunscreens, along w/ leaving a caller in the heat and its affect on the calls finish for the customer. Had that advice given to me by a callmaker some where along the way. Jus passing that along.
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL