OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Antler tipped strikers

Started by MarkJM, January 24, 2012, 12:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkJM

Hey guys, I have been wanting to make an antler tipped striker for a personal striker to carry in the woods. How do you go about laminating the striker and the wood? Also I know antler likes to shatter, how do you keep it from blowing up in your face?

-Thanks in advance,
Mark.
MuellerCustomCalls

woodwzrd

I have done a couple and I drill a 3/16 hole in the wood and then very carefully turn a 3/16 tennon on the end of the antler and glue it up with gorilla glue. I turn a lot of antler pens and you need to use a scraper like you would for acrylic and take light cuts. I am one of the few that really like working with the stuff. You just have to get past the smell.

MarkJM

Thanks a ton. I had an idea similar to this one but I think this will work better.
MuellerCustomCalls

Bonjour

Quote from: woodwzrd on January 24, 2012, 01:11:58 PM
I have done a couple and I drill a 3/16 hole in the wood and then very carefully turn a 3/16 tennon on the end of the antler and glue it up with gorilla glue. I turn a lot of antler pens and you need to use a scraper like you would for acrylic and take light cuts. I am one of the few that really like working with the stuff. You just have to get past the smell.
x2. That's how I do it.

MarkJM

Now, I noticed the center of the antler isnt that hard, do you guys use that part or use the outter part of the antler?
MuellerCustomCalls

woodwzrd

When I do strikers I usually use the tips of the tines if I can. The tips are usually pretty solid.

870BkWht

I think antler/ivory tipped strikers are kinda slick.  I hope it works out for you Mark.

woodwzrd

When you get one done make sure to post up a pic and let us know how it worked out for you.   :icon_thumright:

magnoliagamecalls

I turned alot of antler in pens and striker tips and never have had a piece blow up. I use a bowl gouge when turning it. I would recommend turning a tenon then glueing it to the wood that way. I use epoxy to glue. I have tried CA and have had them come off.

MarkJM

thanks everyone, I need to find a piece of antler solid enough to turn
MuellerCustomCalls