OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mega-Weight from Nitro

Started by Todd1700, January 20, 2012, 08:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd1700

Anybody seen this new load being offered by Nitro Ammo Company this year. Supposeed to be even heavier than the shot they have been loading.

http://nitrocompany.com/ammunition.htm#top page

earlyriser

I sent my order form off yesterday for the M321, can't wait to see how they pattern.

st8tman

I wonder what the difference is between the M517 and the M517F...unless I missed something looks like same specs?

drenalinld

They suggested it to me today. Said it is more dense than Hevi. I asked what the density is but have not received a response. I am guessing 13 g/cc. We'll see?

mcgruff1533

I'd give their Mega-Weight shells a try if they were available in straight #6 or #7 shot.     

Todd1700

QuoteI'd give their Mega-Weight shells a try if they were available in straight #6 or #7 shot.

Yeah I guess they still go with the duplex loads because of a combination of some people just not believing that 6's or 7's are all they really need and perhaps because the the larger shot also keeps the shells legal in some states where straight 7's still aren't legal.

But I agree with you. If the shot in these shells is even heavier than past Nitro loads then I'd way rather have just straight 6's or 7's. Launched at 1200 fps and packed with shot even heavier than the stuff Hevi-13 loads it would be wicked lethal.  Patterns with 6's or 7's would no doubt be better than the duplex load as well.

Javi

Any boby have patterns that can post here.

drenalinld

I received an e-mail response from Nitro this morning stating the mega shot is 13.5 g/cc and would only be loaded in quadplex loads of 4x5x6x7 because their testing has shown the the single shot sizes tend to open up faster???

Anyway, I responded I was not interested in #4 or #5 13.5 g/cc shot for turkeys. That is like lead buckshot. I offered to buy some if they would load them in straight 7's. They are supposed to get back to me. They are going to give me a few quadplex loads to test as well as replace the .668 Jelly Head they sold me last year with an Indian Creek .665 they claim is awesome with the mega weight loads.

I will give them this. They are making a good effort to help me even if some of their ideas are flawed.

fountain2

I called today inquiring about them and it almost looks like if I wanna try them, I am gonna have to buy 5.  The are hopefully/supposed to call back tomorrow and see if I could buy singles to try.

In my testings the h51013a loads shoot superb in my 835 through my 698.  The 517 loads just didn't shoot as well..but then again I didn't shoot any from 2010.  The 2011 loads did decent and killed fine, just not like the other loads.  The drawback there is the 51013 loads wont eject, in one gun anyways.  Can't remember on the other one.  Thats the main reason I wanna try one...to see if it ejects and how it patterns as well.  They said it like open chokes.  I got one if they do. 

Im a nitro fan and would like to continue to shoot them, as long as my gun agrees with them.  I have a 510c load here to test as well to see how they do

h2obil

Talked to Nitro today.   Asked about their Mega Weight  Shells  vs the Heavy-shot,  can you see any  difference? She said  I will tell you that the M.W. were destroying targets @ 40 yards with great penetration.

fountain2

yea, but i gotta see how the pattern.  the quad plex load has me wondering.  i wanna try a few...i will call them back tomorrow and see if i can get some or just buy one or two to test...hopefully my gun will spit wm back out afterwards.  im definately open minded to em tho

Britton40

Fountain if you buy (5) 510c mega weight, I'll buy two or three from you.

fountain2

Alright...we may just do that.  Im gonna call again Monday and talk with them.  The 2 7/16 loads in the regular stuff didn't shoot as well for me, so im guessing the same for the mega weight? ??  The 2 1/4 oz loads did the trick..so im pretty sure that's what I will go with with high hopes of good patterns and they eject.

BigHooks

I'm not trying to down anything at all, but when a shell don't eject sounds like to much presher to me just my thoughts.

fountain2

Yup...can't figure how they didn't eject and the heavier loads did :help:. I sold everything except the 2.25 oz loads and will try more this year.  I got hopes of getting the 2010 results again!