OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TURKEY GUNS/ LOADS FOR COYOTES?

Started by mommicked, January 17, 2012, 07:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mommicked

This maybe offtopic but I assume alot of you have alot of experience w various loads and barrels/ chokes and downrange performance. I have a 90s Remy 1187sp turkeygun w 22" barrel and factory extended choke. I am going to use it on the wiley dogs w a vengence!. From what i've gathered so far,  plated, buffered #4s like Dead Coyote seem to be preferred out to 50+ yrds. (too expensive) My testing over the years, not lately, would indicate # 1, 2, 3, buckshot would be effective/lethal also at this range w a tighter than full choke/short barrel.  Am I missing something? or just wrong? Any thoughts on loads or other chokes for this gun, for yotes is apreciated. Coyotes kill turkeys faster than foxes IMO, deer and everything else too, and I'm gonna try to help reduce their ########s!!
Learning something new, on every hunt.

surehuntsalot

#4 buckshot and #4 birdshot is all you need for coyotes,you don't have to have the expensive HTL  coyote shells to kill one believe it or not,you will also save a ton of money
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mommicked

Thanks, I happen to have 10 3" #1 buck 24pellet unplated shells. would it be less lethal than the 4s w more pellets? I assume 1 or 2 #1 pellets would kill the critters but I also assume the pattern will be worse past 30 yrds.

Richyb

what would be the biggest pellet you could use from a .650 choke? Would like to keeep a couple of extras in my pocket this spring for the coyotes.

mommicked

Thanks for the replies, I will be hunting w my father usually, and one of us will have a .243, the shotgun will be used if one comes in close before we see it or have a shot. We will be hunting some fairly thick woods w 100yrds being about all we're gonna get. If the critter is 40yrds or less I intend to fire a quick burst w the shotgun unless it drops instantly.  Richyb, I believe my choke is .660 and I have shot plated 3" 00 buck through it occasionally, I havent really patterned this load and don't know if it's safe to use, but I have killed a few deer w it and my tube is not damaged. One at 60 yrds. 3 hits, one in the eyeball! it sounds like #4 turkeyload is the stuff for Yotes, so if you hunt turkey w them your ready for the Yotes too .

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Richyb on January 18, 2012, 11:14:22 AM
what would be the biggest pellet you could use from a .650 choke? Would like to keeep a couple of extras in my pocket this spring for the coyotes.

Depending on the state you hunt in, carrying anything larger than the allowed shot size loads could get you in trouble if you were checked by a game warden.  Most states only allow "fine shot" in size #4 or #2 MAX.  #4 shot will straight flatten a skinny spring yote out to 40 yards if you hit them in the head and chest.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mcgruff1533

I've used some 3" or 3.5" loads with #4 Copper plated Lead fired through my .665" Undertaker choke.     Call them within 30 yards and shoot them in the face.... result is a dead Coyote.