OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 Super Mag/Should I Buy It?

Started by Gobble Nole, January 17, 2012, 03:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble Nole

Well this little turkey killer came around to me for sale, just curious if I should buy it.  And if I do, what should I do to it as I want to make it a fully customized gun strictly for turkeys.  It is a Mossberg 835 3 1/2 mag in Realtree Hardwoods camo, 24 inch barrel ported.  I am not sure if I should buy it or not?  I have heard that these are the best little turkey guns, not flashy but sure enough killers. 
If I buy it I would like to add a stock, maybe recoil reduction depending on the cost.  I would like to add a choke to perform shooting HS Mag Blends and a turkey sight.  I have JH chokes on my other guns but I know that PG chokes are good in these as well.  I don't want a scope but a cool sight would be nice, or beads, whatever doesn't matter to me.  I have never owned a Mossberg so this is all new to me.  Tell me what yall think..

Thanks,
Greg

ILIKEHEVI-13

Nope they are nothing but junk rattle traps.  Look for a better choice.   :lol:

Just kidding.  Heck yea I would buy it.  Depends on the price though.  I like a longer 28" barrel myself, but it's a 835 and a 24" barrel will still shoot mighty well.  See if you can hunt down a Star Dot choke.  And I would shoot Hevi-13 3.5" #7's if it were me.  But that is your choice.   

chatterbox

Brad's reply is spot on. The only thing I would add is put a limbsaver on that beast, or as you meantioned, a recoil reducing stock. Knoxx makes a really nice one.

Gobble Nole

What constriction in the Star Dot Choke and also the Pure Gold Choke?

BHhunter

The 835 is the Semi auto 935's brother, and I just patterned a new 935 with a Sumtoy .675 Hevi-13 3 1/2 #7. I wish I would have bought one years ago, this gun and choke combo is great. You can see my pattern pics I posted from mid Dec if you do a search. If the price is right, buy it now.

fountain2

Yup...get it.  I have had several and still have 2 835 turkey guns....one is a thumb hole stock model with a 20" bbl and the other is a turkey thug edition with a 20" bbl...both will flat out shoot.   I actually shot 3 guns one evening ....2 20" bbl guns and a 28"  bbl...and the short bbl guns outshout the longer bbl.  I would definitely go straight 7s tho.  Several good choke options out there.  That gun, choked right,  will be a serious turkey killer with the 7s.  I've also shot nitro for many years with good results

chatterbox

Quote from: Gobble Nole on January 17, 2012, 04:33:48 PM
Star dot is .676 I believe, and PG is .670.

BOFF

Without a price given, we can not give an accurate answer if you should buy it or not.  :goofball:

God Bless,
David B.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: chatterbox on January 17, 2012, 04:43:47 PM
Quote from: Gobble Nole on January 17, 2012, 04:33:48 PM
Star dot is .676 I believe, and PG is .670.

Your very good. 

Well a short barrel from time to time may out shoot a longer barrel.  From my findings the longer barrel more than likely will win shot after shot.  But again that is not going to be by much when talking only 4". 

bird

Gobble Nole

Ok, well I think I can get it for $300.  I will add a choke, stock, and sights so I will have about $500 in a fully custom gun.  I also have to buy shells as I do not own the 3 1/2 7's that everyone is recommending for the gun.

chatterbox

300.00 seems a little steep to me. How old is the gun?
I paid 350.00 for a scoped 835.

surehuntsalot

should be able to get it for around 250.00
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Leader

paladin

I bought an 835 as my first turkey gun. Rear sight is crap but otherwise a great gun.
The barrel is "overbored" and generally shoots great patterns.
"have gun-will travel"