turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wood from woodcraft question

Started by Basser69, January 16, 2012, 07:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basser69

I picked up a piece of red heart today that is covered in ancor seal. I was wondering is this stuff good to turn or do I need to wait on it? Drying time, 1" per year  thanks guys?

VanHelden Game Calls

Its a crap shoot. I bought some thats good to go and others that are dripping.(even after they assured me it was dry)

You will fond it best to use a wood vendor where you can ask this question before you buy. 

M,Yingling

Get yourself a  moisture meter,,One of the better things i did ,,Fairly cheap
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Basser69

Thanks guys! The moisture meter is on my hit list

woodwzrd

I don't know about woodcraft but it is a crap shoot at Rockler to. I had a guy bring me a 2x6x6 block of eat Indian rosewood to make some predator calls out of and I cut into it along with some claro walnut and a piece of osage that  I bought tonight and the osage and the rosewood are wetter than wet. They both register off the chart on the moisture meter. The walnut on the other hand in good to go. All i know is that guy isn't going to be happy he isn't going to get his calls made with that piece of wood.

pappy

ANY TIME YOU GET A HUNK AT LEAST 2" THICK AND SEALED BET ON IT BEING WET......BUY A METER AND BE CERTAIN...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Stoner

I had the same issue with some wood from Woodcraft. Some if it is dry and some is green. Moisture meter was good advice. I did take a green piece of wood that I purchased from them and used the microwave to dry it. You do have to be careful and does require a moisture meter to get it just right. Go slow with the microwave and you will get it dry enough to turn.

West Augusta

I always run coated wood from Woodcraft through the planer and get it off of the sides leaving it on the ends and let it set for 6 months at least to be sure.  Haven't had any issues yet. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Basser69

I got a meter the other night and it is coming in at 14.6%. it is sealed on all 6 sides so I guess I better scrape off 4 of them and be patient. The microwave concerns me about warping or twisting since this is only a 1 x 1 piece.

bcc2011

I have been having alot of issues with the woodcraft in my town. First if you work at a wood store I would assume you would know how to measure out 2 board feet and no this guy did not. Secondly I also started noticing that the wood that is already in dimensions and sealed are wet so if i buy wood from there I buy stock and have them cut off what I need and plus its alot cheaper that way.
Brother Custom Calls

CallMaker

I went into our local woodcraft store today and they had very little wood in there.  They have always been big on pen turning blanks etc... and they had very little of that.   I wanted a piece of purple heart and all they had was 1/4" stock.   Guess I'll have to start paying shipping fees.
Steven