OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 Express or Mossy 500

Started by Philippe, January 14, 2012, 08:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which has better reliability, patterns

Rem 870 Express
14 (87.5%)
Mossy 500
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Philippe

I am wanting to add a new turkey machine to the collection. This one however will be for my wife. I'd like to see what everyone's opinions are on the gun's reliability, patterning results, and availability of chokes and the reason you you would choose which one and why. I plan to shoot either Hevi-13 shells or Federals Heavyweight shells.

The price difference between the two is roughly 30 dollars for either one of them, new out the door. The Remington being the more expensive one of course.

sugarray

Both will be awesome guns for your wife with great reliability, awesome patterns, and plenty of choke choices.

I chose the 870 b/c of the Knoxx Spec-0ps recoil reducing stock.  I added this for my son and being able to adjust that LOP down to 11" or so is great and really makes him comfortable and gets him on target.  The recoil reducing properties have allowed him to practice, which is not a lot, without ever complaining about recoil.  It will add $100 if you shop around or even less.  I would never by anything different in the 20 gauge.  I am thinking of getting one for my 835.

dirt road ninja

The remy is better built. The mossy is already drilled and tapped. If you are planning to use a scope the mossy might be less hassle to set up. They should  both perform well on paper. In a 20 gauge I'd go 870.

agturkey

My wife picked the moss no matter how hard I tried get her get the 870.  It just fit her better and if I wanted scope it it is ready to go.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WildTigerTrout

Rem 870 is better quality. Plain and simple.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Philippe

Well gents, i may we well get the 870 because i found that Remington is offering a 30 dollar rebate on the Express line of shotguns, plus i have a gift card to the shop where i plan to make my purchase. The rebate plus the gift card will bring the 870 down to 250, not to shabby.

Eric Gregg

Quote from: Philippe on January 15, 2012, 09:30:59 AM
Well gents, i may we well get the 870 because i found that Remington is offering a 30 dollar rebate on the Express line of shotguns, plus i have a gift card to the shop where i plan to make my purchase. The rebate plus the gift card will bring the 870 down to 250, not to shabby.

I am a 870 fan. Smooth operation, light weight, and all kind of options for chokes and loads. Remington got it right with the 870.

Philippe

Well i went ahead and bought the 870 Express tonight. Now i need to find a few decent chokes for it. I need to keep it simple so i am thinking about trying the SSX and a Hastings or maybe a Carlsons, it has a 26 inch barrel so we'll see what happens. I am dead set on the Hevi-13 and Fed heavyweights though.

Eric Gregg

Quote from: Philippe on January 15, 2012, 09:38:45 PM
Well i went ahead and bought the 870 Express tonight. Now i need to find a few decent chokes for it. I need to keep it simple so i am thinking about trying the SSX and a Hastings or maybe a Carlsons, it has a 26 inch barrel so we'll see what happens. I am dead set on the Hevi-13 and Fed heavyweights though.

I just bought a Remington SF turkey choke that will handle Hevi and Fed's Flite control for 9 bucks, that is right, 9 bucks. The two that you list above have rave reviews too.
I like all the options that are availabe.
Congratulations on the new Remington. You will love it.

njdevilsb

Like the above poster said, the Remington SF is a great choke for a great price.  I too have the Hevi version and it throws good patterns with Hevi #7's out of my 870 with a 28" barrel.  The RSF patterned better than the SSX for me, but that's just my experience.  I have seen some nice patterns out of the SSX as well.

No matter what choke you choose, I think you made a great choice on the 870.  I love carrying mine around.

RailRoader

Where did you find the Remington SF tube for $9.00. I looked on midway and they are $24.99 on there.

RaspyD

Perfection Turkey Calls

RailRoader

Philippe

Quote from: TeocTom on January 15, 2012, 10:01:34 PM
Quote from: Philippe on January 15, 2012, 09:38:45 PM

I just bought a Remington SF turkey choke that will handle Hevi and Fed's Flite control for 9 bucks, that is right, 9 bucks. The two that you list above have rave reviews too.
I like all the options that are availabe.
Congratulations on the new Remington. You will love it.

Ty, I actually just ordered that very choke you mentioned today.