OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi-13 #6

Started by jakesdad, February 18, 2011, 08:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Ok,I've seen all the great patterns you guys are getting with the Hevi-13 so i'm gonna swallow me lead pride and try some out in my 870 20.My question is I see guys getting huge numbers with the 7's and i'm not questioning the stopping power of that load either,but what do you guys think about the 6's?The reason I ask is it seems the 6's(for me anyway)are easier to find than the 7's.I'm not planning on anything over 40,probably not even 35,just looking for a denser pattern than lead.I have a primos jellyhead and a rem super full,which one do you recommend?Also what about the Hevi shot #6 duck loads?They seem real easy to find around here.Like I said I'm not looking for huge 10" 40yd numbers,just to "thicken up" my pattern a little more than what lead is giving me at my hunting range.What are your guys thoughts/opinions?

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

hookedspur

The 7s are worth the trouble to find ,and as for the duck loads I had no luck with them at all.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

jakesdad

Is the JH or Rem SF the choke the 7's prefer(in general)or do both work fine?

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

hookedspur

In 3 guns mine liked the IC and PG 555 way the best. But others here say those chokes worked well for them.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

dj-il

I shoot the Hevi-13 #6's out of my benelli m1 20ga and really can't see myself going back to a 12ga.  I shot a bird at 42 steps last year (didn't think it was that far) and it stoned him.  I am using a swarm choke tube.  I have never counted the pellets in a 10" at 40yds either and don't care too.  It is a nice even pattern that no turkey will live through as long as I do my job.

surehuntsalot

you don't have to have the 7's to kill a turkey,the #6's will do it to
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

redleg06

I should probably put this in the classifieds but....

I've got a box and a half of the Hevi 7's and  if anyone wants to buy them. 

I started shooting TSS last season and they're just collecting dust in my closet.

PM me if you want to buy them- whatever they go for retail, Im not trying to make a profit off them.

pdqt

If you are just tryin to tighten up the pattern a little you should not have any trouble at all unless your gun is really good with lead. In my 20 ga benelli at 35 yd i get about 135 shot In 30" with 7/8 lead #6. With 1 1/4 #6 hs waterfowl shell I can get the same #'s at 53 yds.
The 7/8 lead is a reload squirrel load, am going to try and tighten it up, it's not good past 30 for them. But I would also shoot a turkey with it at 30.