OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

best finish for box Calls

Started by WaddleWhacker, January 09, 2012, 03:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaddleWhacker

i have been spraying my box's with poly but when the air is humid the poly will cloud up...so i am looking for a way to finish my calls even if it is a humid day...would something like tru oil or teak be better than the poly... i really want to get away from the poly altogether sense once you spray it the poly changes the sound and you have to tune it all over again....what do you think is the best finish for box calls

bcc2011

I use arm-r-seal made by general finishes. It is oil and urethane mix and I love how it seals up the calls and really makes the color in the wood show. I put 2 coats on and sand the first coat very very lightly with 320 git just to make the first coat smooth for the second coat. I was going to go with teak but I talked to a couple master woodworkers and they said that some woods will stain with teak so it would be a hit or miss and I didnt want my wood to turn a color other than there natural state.
Brother Custom Calls

Spring Creek Calls

I use a wipe on clear satin poly. 3 coats and light sanding between gives a low shine protection. I only do hunting calls so the low luster is important to me. It also builds slowly so I don't experience a great difference between pre and post finish sound. Good luck!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

MUSHCREEK

Have any of you fellas ever used tongue oil?

handcannon

I used tongue oil for quite a while. I really like the stuff. Great finish coat.

Turkey Trot

WW:

I've used Tru Oil on gunstocks and teted it on other wood.  It is a polymer blend, not a simple oil like boiled linseed.  It does not work well in GA humidity, you need a drying cabinet to make it dry well, and in fact, are better off if you cut it with some boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits.  I would not say that it is a low labor choice. 

I think Pilkington's or tung oil would work easier, or boiled linseed that's been cut and blended.

Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

CallMaker

I use tung oil and cut the initial coat with mineral spirits.  This thins it and lets it get into the wood. It will dry faster as well. The second coat I don't cut it as much.  Wipe away any excess and let it dry.  Then I buff them out using a 3 on 1 buffing mandrel.  They come out nice and are sealed very well.
Steven

4nolz2

I am just a hobbyist but I use laquer sanding seasler,sand then use laquer (all spray can finish)