OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Be Careful!!

Started by Gobblerstopper, January 09, 2012, 10:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblerstopper

I went out a couple of hours ago and thought that I was going to get an early start on turning some calls that have been backing up the last couple of weeks.  I haven't turned a pot for about a month now and haven't turned many at all since fall.

The first blank that I put on the lathe, a Cherry/Curly Maple laminate, started off good.  I turned the outside down a little and moved to do the inside of the pot.  A couple of passes and things went BAM!!

For some reason, some how, the entire blank blew off of the pot.  I'm not sure if the tool caught (hasn't happened in years) or what, but the four screws in the back of the blank did nothing to hold it on the faceplate.

I have a small plastic shroud that hooks to my dust collection unit and flips down over the top/front of the piece and it is destroyed.  It did well though.  It deflected the blank down and not into me had I been standing in front of the lathe.

Guess it's just a reminder that you never know what can happen and always take as many safety precautions as you can.  This is the first time in 10 years I have had a pot do this.

MarkJM

Had it happen with a striker, also with table saws, be VERY careful when making close cuts and always hold onto both sides of the piece you are cutting. I wasnt holding onto the slab I was cutting off and the blade grabbed that side and threw it 100mph right past my head and into the light behind me.
MuellerCustomCalls

gob09

dang it man
im glad you were'nt hurt
you call makers be careful

TRKYHTR

I've had a couple things blow up on me like that before and it's scarey. If it ever hits you it will leave a mark. Glad it all turned out OK.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

stone road turkey calls

Facemask guys, FACEMASK
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

lightsoutcalls

Andy,
   Glad to hear you didn't get hit.  I had an osage pot grab my skew gouge on Saturday.  It didn't come off the lathe, but it was enough to get my attention for sure. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Bonjour

Glad you weren't hurt. Just about a year ago when I got 5 stitches in my little finger working on the lathe, doing something I knew I shouldn't be doing. The tools don't have mercy and will always let you know the limits.

Longbeardfever4ever

That is definitely something to watch for... I have had bowl blanks and logs bounce off of my facemask as well as my chest... Pot calls love to fly off the lathe sometimes.  When I first got my chuck I didn't fasten it right, and all the jaws went flying off the lathe. It was scary.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Basser69

It is scary when that happens. Andy, I am just glad that you were not hurt

TarheelTurk

Glad no one has been hurt (or not too seriously), hadnt had anything blow up "YET" did have a similar incident w/ a table saw as Mark did though. Thankful my head wasnt in the path either! Everyone take your time and hopefully we'll all be safe in 2012
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

woodwzrd

You never know what can come at you. I was turning a pot and after I got the internals done I flipped it around to part off my waste block. About 30 seconds after I hit the switch the pot blew in half and the half that came loose glanced off the forehead part of my faceshield. I couldn't' figure out what hit me until the lather quite spinning and I realized that half the pot was gone. That is the very reason I never turn without a faceshield.

Be safe guys.

Longbeardfever4ever

I had a striker blank fly off the lathe today... Thankfully it went the opposite direction of me.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24