turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

need help finding some wood

Started by bcc2011, January 07, 2012, 07:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcc2011

Hey guys does anybody know were I could get ahold of some yellow cedar 8/4 and some macassar ebony. The lumber I've found isn't very good quality.
Brother Custom Calls

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

misfire

I got some really tight Alaskan yellow cedar a few years back from someone on ebay, I cant remember off hand. But he would hand pick it and it was really nice. Reminds me,  I need to make a few box calls
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

sharxfan

Have you tried a woodcraft store for the ebony? I see they have three in Colorado.

bcc2011

Yea I actually have a woodcraft less than a mile from my house. I just picked up some macassar from there yesterday but I had to pay a great penny for it. As far as yellow cedar goes there is nothing out this way.
Brother Custom Calls

sharxfan

Let me call a local hard wood place and see if I can find some. How much do you need?

There are some guys from AL in another forum I am on so I am asking for some help to locate some for ya.

bcc2011

Id like to have the yellow cedar thick enough to make box calls and just a couple boardfeet id be happy with doesn't have to be much.
Brother Custom Calls

sharxfan

sharxfan

I found a guy in Alaska that may be able to help. Is rough cut okay? what length boards do you need? If he can help out I may be able to put you in direct contact with him.

bcc2011

This is exactly what I am looking for, thanks for your help sharxfan
Brother Custom Calls

sharxfan

If the sizes are n't to big then he thinks he may be able to get offcuts for cheap from local sawyers. What length do you need? if it is small enough he may be able to put it in a USPS flat rate box.

bcc2011

Anything around 2x2x12 to 3x3x12 will work. Pretty much sizes that will make box calls, I checked out that website and it looked like they had the sizes I am looking for
Brother Custom Calls

sharxfan

How many pieces do you need I think my fellow forum member may have a line on some wood he can send me.

bcc2011

Just 3 or 4 pieces for now, I havent tried yellow cedar yet so I want to see how it will sound before I make any large purchases. What kind of price am I looking at
Brother Custom Calls

sharxfan

He hasn'tmentioned a price yet but I will ask.