turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mouth Call Supplies

Started by simpzenith, January 02, 2012, 06:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simpzenith

Hi fellas. I'm thinking of getting into making my own mouth calls and would like some help finding supplies, more importantly, the device used for stretching reeds precisely. Thanks

ctwny1

Checkout Pioneer Turkey Calls

http://pioneerturkeycalls.com/

simpzenith

Thanks but did you mean http://pioneerturkeycalls.com/ The other link didn't work.

ctwny1

C_W

Your looking for Thad Bright from Feather Ridge Turkey Calls.

simpzenith

That looks like a good one.  :icon_thumright:

Devastator

i had one of them press's and the supplies from pioneer.it was a frustrating venture that i finally gave up on and sold every thing.you will need lots of patience,trust me.hopefully you can hook up with someone that can give you some tricks of the trade.seems like there is not to many helping hands to offer any advice when it comes to making the mouth calls.seems most are hush hush and rightly so i guess.good luck

gobble157

It does take time and patience. There are good guys that will help you. Don't let that deter you away from trying it. If you can turkey call well it doesn't matter what number you get on your side tension or how much back tension you use to some degree. Know the basics and the rest will fall into place.
Life long obsessed turkey hunting from the great state of Georgia!

23 more states to go!!! US Slam bound!

ctwny1

Anybody know if there is something out there that will cut the latex?

gobble157

What do you mean cut the latex? You mean the big sheet of latex or the actual cuts on the top reed?

After I stack my reeds in desired position I do my side and back tension, put the tape on frame and then trim tape. From there I use cuticle scissors to make my cuts in my top reed. You might have to use a little tension when making cuts coming back out of latex.
Life long obsessed turkey hunting from the great state of Georgia!

23 more states to go!!! US Slam bound!

ctwny1

TRKYHTR

Quote from: ctwny1 on January 03, 2012, 01:11:52 PM
actual cuts

Small scissors. Go to Michaels or hobby lobby and look for small sharp scissors. I usually cut my top reed after I stretch and clamp it in the frame. I don't put the tape on until after I cut the latex. You never know when your going to make a wrong snip or cut the second reed. That way I dpon't waste a piece of tape as well.

TRKLYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Houndstooth Game Calls

Quote from: TRKYHTR on January 03, 2012, 05:26:42 PM
Quote from: ctwny1 on January 03, 2012, 01:11:52 PM
actual cuts

Small scissors. Go to Michaels or hobby lobby and look for small sharp scissors. I usually cut my top reed after I stretch and clamp it in the frame. I don't put the tape on until after I cut the latex. You never know when your going to make a wrong snip or cut the second reed. That way I dpon't waste a piece of tape as well.

TRKLYHTR

Good info here no telling how many I taped then cut and went why did I do that and wasted a piece of tape!!! :icon_thumright:

yelpy

Quote from: timb on January 02, 2012, 09:39:49 PM
i had one of them press's and the supplies from pioneer.it was a frustrating venture that i finally gave up on and sold every thing.you will need lots of patience,trust me.hopefully you can hook up with someone that can give you some tricks of the trade.seems like there is not to many helping hands to offer any advice when it comes to making the mouth calls.seems most are hush hush and rightly so i guess.good luck

I still have my set up and supplies and have given up for a while because of the waist and frustration. I have had my set up for sale in the classifieds with no takers. Maybe I will get back in to it on one of these cold winter days.

Devastator

there was a guy on this sight awhile back that offered a small kit,im not sure but i think he said you did not need a press.maybe he will chime in,can't remember his name.