OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

some pointers needed

Started by BigGobbler, December 22, 2011, 10:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigGobbler

OK i am new at this and am looking for some pointers on what to look for in a lathe to make pot calls. I now there is lathes out there you can buy cheap and some that are high priced. My wife says I can get one but stay under 500 bucks. Is that possible and not get something I will regret buying and later wishing I spent the extra 100 bucks and got something else with more toys on it. There is so many options some use full some not to what you can get on them I have no idea what to look for and who better to ask than you all that use them everyday to do the same thing. any suggestions would help a lot.

lightsoutcalls

I would suggest taking a look at the Jet lathes and Rikon lathes.  I have 2 Jet variable speed mini-lathes and have turned a couple thousand calls and more strikers between the two.  They are great machines at a fair price.  They are heavy and produce minimal vibration, allowing you to set them on top of a sturdy workbench without mounting them with screws. 
I would suggest looking into a variable speed lathe for convenience.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

kenturkey89

I'm not an expert on lathes by any means but I have a JET 1014 mini indexing lathe that was under $500 and it's a quality machine.  JET makes excellent lathes, as well as other companies like Grizzly and Rikon, but I only own the JET and I would definitely recommend it!
Brian

misfire

I, like most others, started out with a cheap lathe and then progressed to the Jet variable speed mini lathe. I wish I had just gone straight to the Jet. I also would lvoe to have the Delta midi, but its a little more expensive, but has a stronger motor with a reverse on it
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

M,Yingling

I use Jet variable speed mini good little lathe had for few years now no problems ,,You should have few dollars left from that 500 for tools chuck
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

CallMaker

A Jet mini lathe will do the job.  When buying tools I would suggest a good set of tools ... Pinnacle Cryogenic HSS tools will hold a good edge.  A five piece set of miniature tools will run about $100 bucks and well wort he money.
Steven

pappy

I have a Nova DVR3000 that ran me 2,000 bucks, it is my horizontal drill press and pot call turner, but my #1 lathe is my Rikon which cost me a whopping 350.00 dollars, I turn all my trumpets and strikers and predator callers on this lathe, if I would get out my billfold and buy me a chuck for the Rikon, I would probably retire the Nova...................if you try to buy a lathe by the bucks in your pocket instead of what it is you are wanting to turn, you'll be making a mistake.....take your time, investigate your needs and do a precise look at several lathes, one thing go with a cast iron bed, not steel tubes or steel flats, as the cast will deaden the vibration 10 to 1 better, two, check the availability of accessories for the lathe you want, buy one with common tpi like 1" X 8 not some weird thing like 3/4" X 16...stay with mt2 instead of a mt1, variable speeds on the lathe whether it is done by switching belt location on the drive pulley or electronically controlled is a must, save the cash and go with the belt adjustment, spending a few minutes between changing speeds isn't that big a deal. As far as buying chisels, don't pick up those 10.99 sets...you get what you pay for, you don't need the best, but a better class of chisels is important, train to sharpen them, that is the key to your turing out quality projects, sharp tools, always sharp tools....Benjamin makes agreat set....that is what I started with, of course now I have every thing from Sorby to Crown to handmade carbide from Sanatorium here on the site....which I use 80% of the time......
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

handcannon

I'm looking to upgrade my lathe. I am one of those "I wish I woulda" guys. I think I've pretty much talked myself into the same lathe that Misfire was talking about. The Delta 46-460 midi lathe with reversible head. I'm really digging it right now. Otherwise, I'd go along with these other guys and go with Jet or Rikon.