OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

new lathe

Started by BigGobbler, December 22, 2011, 10:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigGobbler

Maybe I need to buy me a wood lathe and get rid of the drill press and the hole saws. I am sure a lot of you guys started out with a drill press an moved on to a lathe my question would be would you ever go back to the drill press. Do you find it much easier to use a lathe or drill press. Do you use the lathe from start to finish to make the pot from the raw wood blank.

misfire

I too started out on a drill press, will NEVER go back! The lathe is just a lot easier to deal with once you learn it
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

ccleroy

Longbeardfever4ever

Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

WaddleWhacker

ok i have got to ask...what's the hole saw used for??? i make all my pot's on a drill press but i can't figure out what the hole saw is for....i have a lathe but all i use it for is to turn top's for striker's...maybe i'm a dummy and do it the hard way

BigGobbler

Quote from: WaddleWhacker on December 23, 2011, 08:02:49 AM
ok i have got to ask...what's the hole saw used for??? i make all my pot's on a drill press but i can't figure out what the hole saw is for....i have a lathe but all i use it for is to turn top's for striker's...maybe i'm a dummy and do it the hard way
[/quote

Used to cut out the round pot from the wood blank

https://www.google.com/search?q=hole+saw+pics&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=a5H0ToyQLYe9twen1oXQBg&sqi=2&ved=0CG4QsAQ&biw=1440&bih=785

WaddleWhacker

i bet that can be a little dangerous....

BigGobbler

No everyone will do something different how do you get your pots round from the raw wood blank- A band saw?

WaddleWhacker

started out using a copping saw but now i use a bandsaw..maybe i make them the hard way but i enjoy making them the way i do it

WaddleWhacker

i use forstner bit's...3 1/2 and 3 1/4 inch bits....i'll run up to 30 or 40 at a time....i start out with a 7/8" blank and run the 3 1/2 to the depth i want then change to the 3 1/4" bit run to the depth i want....then cut them out with the bandsaw then sand with the disc sander.....no pedestal in my pot's...i glue my pedestal's on to what ever type sound board i will be using....i will spend a day making up sound boards and a day making pot's...it takes alot of time to do it like i do but i enjoy it....

jerseyjimk

Quote from: Gitzit69 on December 25, 2011, 01:42:05 PM
Quote from: WaddleWhacker on December 23, 2011, 08:02:49 AM
I used a series of hole saws to make calls. Started with a 3/4 inch thick blank, then used a  1 inch holesaw and drilled a 1/2 inch deep. Then repeat with a 1 1/2. That gives you the pedestal.
Then a 3 1/4 to the same 1/2 inch depth, followed by a 3 1/2 to a depth of 1/4 inch that gives you the inside rim of the call and shelf for your striking surface. Last was a 4 inch holesaw for the outside of the call. Then router out the inside to hollow the call out.
So 5 different holesaws and a lot of router work later, I went and bought a lathe.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Here is the first one I made some years back.

Thats real nice,almost to good for the woods

merocustomcalls

Keep in mind, once you have a lathe, you can buy a drill chuck for the lathe tail stock and you have a drill press too.  I also have a four jaw head stock chuck.  You can make almost anything you want after that.

CallMaker

A lathe all the way!  You can do so much more and detail work is so much easier and safer!
Steven