turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey load advice needed.

Started by Crutch, December 14, 2011, 09:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crutch

Until now I have used the 2 3/4 inch number 5 shot thru a 1100 with a mod choke.

Now that I have the choice of Mod, Imp Mod and Full chokes that came with my M1 Super 90, is there any reason not to use the 3 inch number 6 shot or possibly even 3" 4 shot I got with the gun.  Wouldn't the  3" 6 shot way out perform the those Win Supremes in 2 3/4? The Federal 3" 6 shot has 1 5/8 ounce of lead and 4 Dr Eq.

I usually limited my shots to 35 yards with the 1100 but expect 40 or 45 should'nt be a problem however I have not patterened the gun yet. I have rolled a few rabbits with cheap short shells though. I live my 1100 but its limited to 2 3/4  shells and there is something about the way the Benelli fits my shoulder and the vented rib and little red bead that makes it fun to shoot and me a little more accurate. I really love this gun.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

allaboutshooting

3" shells with #6 shot are always a good choice for turkeys. I'd recommend Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 "hard" shot. You may also want to consider an after-market turkey choke with that fine gun but really until you pattern it, you won't know exactly now well it will shoot.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

dirt road ninja

Crutch,

Even with the factory chokes, you'll probably get a killing pattern at 40 yards using a premium load. I would stay away from the 4's and 5's and go with either a straight 7,6, or the EM magmun blend. A quality after market choke will definitely extend your range. As far as 2.75 vs 3 inch, I'd would go with the 3 inch.

Crutch

Clarification----
Last year--- number 5 copper plated high velocity loads worked fine from an 1100 chamber for 2 3/4 "only" and mod choke "only" out to 35 yards.

wouldn't a 3" magnum (possibly just a word on the box to sell these shells) number 6 shot and a full choke put me out to 40 yds very comfortably?  I have a bunch of shells that were given to me.

Just didn't want to spend 20 bucks on a handful of shells since I am not going to shoot 50 or 60 yards anyway.

dirt road ninja

Lead really starts to taper off out past 40 yards. I do think your gun will kill them stone dead @ 40 with lead # 6, but consider 80-100 holes in a 10" circle at any range to be the minimal to ethically kill a turkey. You'll need to pattern the gun first, the determine how far you should shoot.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,12780.0.html

Check out the thread above, paying particular attention to the post by Spuriosity. I think it will answer your question much better then I can.

trkehunr93

I know from the patterning i've done with lead thru a factory full choke, 30-35 is really going to be your max. range for 2 3/4 and 3" magnums.  You will have hits in the kill zone at 40 but you would have to hold a tight bead and have a good open shot to pull it off.  But who knows, deep clean the barrel then give it a good polish and it may throw a good pattern at 40, I would still want at least 100 evenly spread hits in a 10" circle before I would take a 40 yard shot with lead.   My 2 cents, lead still kills'em.

Gadget

In lead I'd say go with the Winchester XX magnum #6 in 2oz, will give the best combination of pattern and kill range.

otherwise the Hevi-13 3-2-6 or 3-2-7, should do a little better than lead in both pattern density and kill range.

WyoHunter

Quote from: Gadget on December 15, 2011, 02:48:03 PM
In lead I'd say go with the Winchester XX magnum #6 in 2oz, will give the best combination of pattern and kill range.

otherwise the Hevi-13 3-2-6 or 3-2-7, should do a little better than lead in both pattern density and kill range.
Good advice!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

3" 870 Shell Shucker

He was referring to Lead 6's. 

It's very easy to get a good pattern at 30 Yards, pretty dang easy to get a good pattern at 35 Yards, and a different ballgame altogether at 40 Yards.  Something happens to Lead patterns between 35 and 40 Yards which causes the pattern to open and spread out quickly.  Using a Full or Modified choke makes it much more difficult.  40 Yards is the land of XFull, XXFull, XXXFull, XXXXFull, etc.

The more expensive Heavier Than Lead shells don't suffer this same fate as quickly.  40 Yards is no problem at all.

Crutch

Thanks 3" 870.  That is what I was looking for. I had no idea that there was such a big change between 35 and 40 yards plus extending that range required such a specialty choke. Have a choke on the way I found on "Pay It Forward".  Thanks to all for all the info.