turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Unprepared - Devotion 12/14/11

Started by lightsoutcalls, December 14, 2011, 09:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I've been sharing devotions I receive in my email from Dr. Michael Youssef.  I had to read today's devotion a couple of times before it really sank in.  Sadly, many of us are so familiar with the story of Christmas that we can read it and not see beyond "just the facts".  I really like his comparison of Bethlehem and our preparations for Christmas.  It brings back a song I posted a link to a couple of weeks ago.  I have included a link to another version of the song by Todd Agnew below.

December 14, 2011

Unprepared

By Michael Youssef, Ph.D.

Although many people read the account of Jesus' birth each Christmas, how many slow down and truly reflect on the circumstances surrounding this marvelous and miraculous moment in history?

It is the moment that all of creation had been waiting for with great anticipation. Prophets predicted it. Men and women of God prayed to see it. Still, the world was completely unprepared for how this moment would unfold.

Bethlehem was bustling with congestion and busyness created by the mandatory census issued by Caesar Augustus. Despite being very close to her delivery date, Mary and Joseph braved the long and tiring journey home to the City of David. Hospitality was a precious commodity under normal circumstances but the crowds for the census had exceeded Bethlehem's capacity. Into this hectic scene rides an expecting Mary led by her betrothed, Joseph. With the fulfillment of prophetic promises coming in mere hours, the couple found no housing in their time of need. There was no room for them.

Mary and Joseph were alone in a foreign town, finding themselves in a precarious situation. They were surrounded by a town overcrowded with people who were too busy to make room for them.

It isn't unlike today when we gather together to celebrate Christmas. Some of us return to the town of our family's origin. Our streets are crowded. Towns are buzzing. Inns are full. Accommodations must be negotiated—where to stay, for how long, and with which relatives. In the midst of this chaos, do we make room?

Prayer: God, forgive me for not preparing my heart for You this Christmas season. In the name of Jesus. Amen.

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect" (1 Peter 3:15).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FViUliuOYH8
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Eric Gregg

Not much difference than when he first appeared to us in Bethlehem.
That is a great challenge.
Thanks for the post