OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best wood for a copper pot?

Started by dreis3, December 11, 2011, 07:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreis3

Just wondering everyone's opinion on this... I'm looking to try some new woods for copper calls and looking for a starting point. I know pot design, sound holes, pedestal height, etc will have a drastic effect on the sound, but I'm just curious which wood everyone prefers for a copper pot... I've had really good sound from both Osage and maple burl...

Thanks,
-Derick
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

TRKYHTR

I just built one yesterday that is in a black walnut pot with Copper over Corian that sounds great.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

M,Yingling

I like to use ash wood its not to fancy but makes great sounding call
Iam a fan of maple also
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

pappy

Anything that is hard, just as long as you keep the floor depth and thickness where it needs to be. Rosewoods are great colorful and full of sound qualities.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Cut*N*Run

I've had good luck with maple, jatoba and zebrawood. Curly maple is probably my favorite for copper.

lightsoutcalls

I like osage best so far in my pot design.  I built one last weekend in Shedua that sounds really good.  I also have one listed on ebay out of blackjack oak that sounds really good.  I think the hard, dense woods work best for me.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redowl

Same as Pappy  and  Mr Rye  .I made one last  spring 3.25 copper.The oak pot has really tight grain.no sound board .i drilled  2 ports on top.it may be the best cuttin raspy call i have made. the gobblers ate it up.yea i had a lot of fun with that call last spring!