Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why no Kick's Gobblin' Thunder love around here?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, December 05, 2011, 03:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildSpur

With these new longbeard loads my .655 and winchester 1300 will be back at it with #6.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

ahfox16

Quote from: mossyoakpro on February 16, 2014, 09:38:30 PM
I have a GT 665 in my 1187 right now....I have tried other tubes but the GT always comes out on top.  I still have some Extended Range Wins right now but as soon as they are gone I am going to swap to a different choke to heed the "not approved for HTL" warning.

It will stay in the safe for use with lead should I ever return to that.

I believe Charlie Boswell (owner of Comp-n-choke and Kicks) said there was no problem using the Winchester Extended in his chokes.  Big problem with Hevi-shot.  Winchester Extended are not as hard as Hevi-shot so they aren't an issue. 

Hooks' n' Beards'

the Ward

Quote from: ahfox16 on February 17, 2014, 09:11:49 AM
Quote from: mossyoakpro on February 16, 2014, 09:38:30 PM
I have a GT 665 in my 1187 right now....I have tried other tubes but the GT always comes out on top.  I still have some Extended Range Wins right now but as soon as they are gone I am going to swap to a different choke to heed the "not approved for HTL" warning.

It will stay in the safe for use with lead should I ever return to that.

I believe Charlie Boswell (owner of Comp-n-choke and Kicks) said there was no problem using the Winchester Extended in his chokes.  Big problem with Hevi-shot.  Winchester Extended are not as hard as Hevi-shot so they aren't an issue. 
I may be wrong on this, but from what I understand both Hevi and Xtended Range are both tungsten. Tungsten is harder than the hardest steel shot. So I don't get where one tungsten load is "softer" than another.I can see a difference in wads and velocity, but not the hardness of the shot itself. That being said, the kicks gt I have throws very even, consistent patterns.They are good chokes, but like others have posted, i think the "lead only" deal hurts them as it makes them sound like they are not as strong as hevi approved chokes.    :z-twocents:

mightyjoeyoung

You are wrong actually ward.  The Winny ER loads are softer than Hevi shot by a good margin.  In fact I believe they also contain tin and/or bismuth though I can't remember which one.  Either way they are def softer than Hevi and I think even softer than steel waterfowl shot.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

shuey270

I like the 665 GT in my 870 with Win 3.5", 2oz #4's.

Twowithone

Ive taken quite a few gobblers with Kicks GT. 665. and Winchester xr 3" #6 shot out of my Winchester1300 gives me great patterns. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

RAY

We all use Kicks in our turkey guns and waterfowl guns. No complaints at all when it comes to Kicks choke tubes.

the Ward

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 17, 2014, 03:16:33 PM
You are wrong actually ward.  The Winny ER loads are softer than Hevi shot by a good margin.  In fact I believe they also contain tin and/or bismuth though I can't remember which one.  Either way they are def softer than Hevi and I think even softer than steel waterfowl shot.
Thanks for the correction, I did not know there were different alloys involved in the making of tungsten shot. That's why I like being here, always able to learn something new!

vpsalin

Is that to say that there's no real world problem shooting hevi shot through a kick's even though the fine print says not to do it?
1966 870_WM / 20'' Deer RS / IC .665 / SHURSHOT / 1.75-5x32 Legend HD / LB_XR_3''_#5

Excalibur Micro335 RT / Nikon Bolt XR / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Excalibur Grizzly305 MO / Deadzone / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

kshutt

I run Kick's GT Chokes on my 835 and 935...  :z-twocents:

Longshanks

I'm back to hunting with my Rem870 21"bbl/ Kicks .655.

180's in 12 @ 40.  Win XX 3/2/6's

*hard to beat with any other setup I have..in hunting situations in the timber.

drenalinld

Quote from: vpsalin on April 19, 2014, 10:29:21 PM
Is that to say that there's no real world problem shooting hevi shot through a kick's even though the fine print says not to do it?

A few have split with HTL loads. Very rare but a possibilty. To me they look thinner and definitely have more material removed for ports possibly making them weaker. I own five or six and love them with lead and XRHD's! When I shoot other HTL it's other chokes. Many shoot them with Hevi, HW and even TSS with great results.

Tom Foolery

Quote from: drenalinld on April 22, 2014, 08:17:42 PM
Quote from: vpsalin on April 19, 2014, 10:29:21 PM

A few have split with HTL loads. Very rare but a possibilty. To me they look thinner and definitely have more material removed for ports possibly making them weaker. I own five or six and love them with lead and XRHD's! When I shoot other HTL it's other chokes. Many shoot them with Hevi, HW and even TSS with great results.

The Kicks is thinner?  Mine is built like a tank with diagonal round porting.  Are you thinking of Indian Creek or Comp-N-Choke? 

A Kicks choke is far from thin.

tnturkey

i have there high flyer choke and its good. but imo there are better turkey chokes on the market is the reason I don't shoot them. I dont have a problem with there company. I shoot htl loads but that doesn't stop me from using them. just better chokes at least in my experience is why I dont use them. not saying they are bad at all dont take it that way just out of my gun. I would be hard pressed to find one that would pattern better out of it. but that's just me.