Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why no Kick's Gobblin' Thunder love around here?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, December 05, 2011, 03:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappiepro

I have the Kicks GT.665 in my Mossberg 535 ATS Tactical Turkey. I also shoot the Winchester High Velocity in 3" 5 shot with great results. I'm pretty happy with mine!!

campcreekfarm

Been shooting Nitros out of mine for 10+ years with no problems and it is awesome to say the least.  I called down there when I first starting shooting Nitros out of it and the guy told me it was ok to shoot them.  He just said dont run the old Remington Hevis thru it.  May have been longer than 10 yrs ago ???

ctwny1

Kicks is owned by Charlie Boswell's son Chuck. I know Chuck and he's a down to earth, salt of the earth guy who knows his stuff. I shoot Kicks Chokes in all my guns and never put hevi-shot through'em. Why?? never had too. I still shoot lead and kill birds dead with no problem. I was shooting Kicks before Chuck bought the company.

If anybody feels that they want to shoot hevi-shot or need it to harvest anything, then go for it. It's like the old saying "Some people like to drive a Chevy and others like to drive a Ford.

But I will say that if any company recommends not using their product in a way or manner that could cause damage to product or person using that product, and you as a consumer ignore or feel you know better and any accident or damage should occur, plain and simple...it's your own fault.

Gobble!

In my opinion the shell is more important then the choke. Since Kicks says not to use hevi 13 I decided to take my business else where.

ctwny1

Gus_13

I shoot a Benelli Nova 24" barrel with Kicks 665 and Winchester Supreme 3 1/2 #5s and have used that combo a while now.  I just recently acquired my childhood Winny 1300 Turkey with an 18 1/2" barrel and stuck a Kicks 665 in it. I plan to shoot Winchester Supreme 3" #4s in it first to see what I get. I also have a Kick's Vortex IC in my duck gun. Great company with good CS in my opinion. Always willing to help. They do love Winchester ammo when asked for a suggestion but that's fine with me! Always had great results.
Strut. Gobble. Die.

WildTigerTrout

I use a Kick's .655 GT in my Benelli Super Black Eagle. I use Win 3.5" HV 2 oz. load of #6's. Patterns like a dream. Dropped my bird last spring at 53 paces with one shot! I have killed several with this combo and none required a second shot. :gobble:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Pressured Gobbler

I'll bet they get some new love with Winchester LB loads :happy0064:

owlhoot

Didn't he have a record with the Winchester high velocity lead at still target NWTF competition?

Then Hevi cleaned up the next year or so.
bet that ticked him off.

Longshanks

I shoot Kicks in a few different guns. .655,.660,.670. As far as lead goes they have patterned better than any other chokes I have used. The POA/POI has always stayed on when i have used these chokes. No need to use sights other than to be able to take a fine bead with tight patterns. Quality built chokes. I have had good customer service as well.   Noticed that the Winchester longbeards are shooting really well through these chokes. The majority of turkey's I have killed have been with Kicks/Winchester Lead. Close second would be Hastings .665/ Federal Pre FCW 3/2/6's.

mossyoakpro

I have a GT 665 in my 1187 right now....I have tried other tubes but the GT always comes out on top.  I still have some Extended Range Wins right now but as soon as they are gone I am going to swap to a different choke to heed the "not approved for HTL" warning.

It will stay in the safe for use with lead should I ever return to that.
Phillippians 4:13

Xcal1ber

They seem to get quite a bit of love. A few weeks ago when I was asking what chokes to get for my 835, the Kicks was said quite a bit. I can tell you that in my opinion they are one of the "meanest" looking chokes there is. Cool tubes for sure.

I will add that if the feller that makes those chokes would make a choke that would cater to the HTL crowd, then he would probably get more love.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on December 06, 2011, 01:48:36 AM
QuoteMany think #4's will have a longer killing range. Unfortnately, pattern density is such that the opposite may be true when considering effective range and not simply pellet energy.

Thus, #5 Lead may offer the best of both worlds; Energy and Pattern Density.

killed a many a bird with a 2-3/4" Remington 1100 using the old Winchester 2-3/4" 1-5/8oz XX Magnum #4 loads (red shell) man those were the days
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Rockhound

Even though this thread is almost. 3 years old lol

I own a kicks for every turkey gun I own and for some I just think about taking

Tom Foolery

I shoot a Kicks .660 in my stubby 20" barrel 870.  I have shot everything but steel through mine and it has ran like a top.  I also have a .680 for the the 835 I used to own and it shot great also.  I have tried other chokes to replace the old Kicks but nothing has really outshot it especially when looking at an overall even hunting pattern.