OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why no Kick's Gobblin' Thunder love around here?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, December 05, 2011, 03:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Most of the time, it's hard to sell, trade, or give one away on the classifieds forum.

When someone asks questions about them, people usually post more negative comments about the choke maker, than the chokes themselves.  BPS stocks them, and their price is resonable compared to other turkey chokes.  If you don't like the pattern you get with one, you can return it to Kick's and swap it for one of 2 or 3 other exit diameters.

Why no Kick's GT love around here?

drenalinld

Great choke for lead. I think they earned a poor reputation for inferior customer service and their older chokes were not supposed to be used with harder shot. I got really great results with a 0.650" and 0.655" in an 870 sp12 shooting Win HV #6. Killed a ton of turkeys with that setup.

stinkpickle

From their website...

"'Gobblin Thunder' chokes are not recommended for steel shot or Hevi-shot."

That's probably the biggest reason, right there.

Spring Creek Calls

I feel the love! I shoot a GT .655 with both lead and Hevi with great results. Lead loads are Win XX 6's and the old white Hevi's 6's.

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

gobbler74

Ive heard Kicks is a great choke. The owner shows no "LOVE" for HTL. Not advertising that in todays market is whats hindering the popularity. 3 words would bring him into the game. "Hevi shot approved" Most seasoned shooters find out at places like OG that the chokes work fine. Most folks buying off the shelf and getting into the sport are going to abide by the fine print so to speak.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

fountain2

I killed a truck load with a gobbling thunder in my old 835 and a wide variety of shells..I patterned, but didn't pay near as close attention to it as I do now.  I knew I had enough at 40 and that was all I needed.  Also killed several with my old nef 10...and my buddy is still killing with it and federal 6s.

Don't know the builder, but have called several times and got good phone service and several around here have too their stuff there and set up..all with good stuff to say

VAlongbeard84

I personally use one in my 11-87 20 gauge with TSS 9's. It is a nasty tube, and I have shot a bunch with testing, to name a few Indian Creek, Pure Gold, Rhino, RSF, to name some. The Kicks was the most consistent shooter of the bunch. The Pure Gold and Rhino were good, but not as consistent. 3 shots with the kicks .570 GT with TSS 9's, and I had a 362, 319, and a 311. The 20" numbers from all 3 shots were within 10 pellets of each other- 545-555. Needless to say I am pleased with the kicks. They have been good people over the phone, just will not approve hevi-shot loads. They are big winchester fans.

gatrkyhntr70

Kicks gt is a great choke; Ive tried them in alot of different guns 12 and 20 ga. shot plenty of htl (nitros, hevi's,win xr's) through them with no porblems. Its no secret the Kicks crew loves the winchester ammo.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

ILIKEHEVI-13

Kicks and Comp-n-Choke are both owned by the same person, Charlie Boswell.  Both have the exact same address. 

savduck

Ive shot Kicks and CNC for years. They have been great chokes for me. Boswell machine shop was just down the road about an hour, and Ive been there many times. The Boswells were always friendly. Ive had Charlie looking over my shoulder before watching me shoot at his shop. Its no secret that they frown on HTL loads. They will give the go ahead on Winchester extended range and Kent Impact matrix, they say its soft enough to shoot, but they frown on others like Hevi 13 and Federals.

Ive shot lots of chokes and shells and up until I got my Indian Creek, my kicks out shot them all. I run the IC now, but still keep a GT 660 in my beretta. Killed 2 with it last year with Winchester 6 extended range.

Georgia Boy

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteIts no secret the Kicks crew loves the winchester ammo.

Perhaps they hung their hat on their track record of success with the old standard Winchester Lead loads, believing that the bulk of the masses would never be willing to pay the premium prices for the HTL stuff?

A majority of Duck hunters proved that they weren't willing to pay for HTL, but they operate at a much higher volume.  

Many Turkey hunters ARE willing to pay $20 to $25 for 5 shells, or $40 for 10 shells each year, in the belief that they are golden at 50 Yards, shot after shot.  But the majority of people just go to Wal-Mart and buy Lead each year.  I'm amazed at the popularity of #4 Lead, even in 2.75" 1.5 ounce loads.  I would think that the 2.75" guys would definitely want #6's, but most stores only stock #4's in the 2.75" turkey loads.

drenalinld

Many think #4's will have a longer killing range. Unfortnately, pattern density is such that the opposite may be true when considering effective range and not simply pellet energy.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteMany think #4's will have a longer killing range. Unfortnately, pattern density is such that the opposite may be true when considering effective range and not simply pellet energy.

Thus, #5 Lead may offer the best of both worlds; Energy and Pattern Density.

gob09

i shot 3" #4's win. red shells a bunch always worked well for me but i do shoot the black and silver win.
i also have a kicks gt choke and like it pretty well

Struttinhusker

I shoot 3" Winchester High Velocity 6's through my Winchester 1300 with the Kick's .655 and get a great pattern.  If I don't miss, it always kills them at the ranges I shoot.