OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turning Green Wood, What Is The Point?

Started by Stoner, November 28, 2011, 12:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoner

I thought I would try turning a few platters. Why do people use green wood to turn platters and bowls. I would think it would be easier to turn a bowl or platter from wood that has been properly dried. I would not think of turning a pot call from green wood. This is a new area of wood turning for me.

lightsoutcalls

Many woods harden as they dry.  Green woods cut much differently than dry woods.  Take it slow to get a feel for the wood.  You will likely want to look into a product that displaces the moisture in the green wood.  I don't remember the name of the product, but I have heard you soak the green turned pieces to displace the moisture to avoid warping, shrinkage, etc.  Wish I could give you more specifics... Good luck with your projects.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Stoner

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on November 29, 2011, 10:16:25 AM
Many woods harden as they dry.  Green woods cut much differently than dry woods.  Take it slow to get a feel for the wood.  You will likely want to look into a product that displaces the moisture in the green wood.  I don't remember the name of the product, but I have heard you soak the green turned pieces to displace the moisture to avoid warping, shrinkage, etc.  Wish I could give you more specifics... Good luck with your projects.

Thanks for the information. I was wondering about the warpage and the shrinkage of green wood after you turn it.

Longbeardfever4ever

I turned a few green wood bowls.. They minorly checked, so I'm definitely not an expert. But I think you are supposed to rough turn the bowl, then paint it with sealer. I used white paint. Then after several weeks of letting it sit in a plastic bag, sand off the sealer and you should be good to go. I didn't wait long enough and the bowl checked some on the end grain. But yes, green wood turns beautifully.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Trophy_Taker

Stoner, Alot of bowl turners turn it this way because like Wendell said it is alot easier to turn.  Plus imagine turning a dried 12x12 piece of wood that would take about 12 years to air dry.  I learned alot of information by going to my public library and signing out woodturning and woodworking DVD's, then I make a copy for myself "for reference only".  There is a ton of valuable info.  Most of the guys turn the bowl down and there is a formula for the size of the bowl and how much material you want to leave. Then most guys paint it up with a wax or anchorseal until it fully dries then they finishe the turning process.  And Wendell I think you are thinking of Pentacryl, thats what I soaked my big oak burl in that I cut down and so far so good with that.  Hope this helps...

Matt...

Basser69

This topic got me thinking (I know scary), I did a little searching and found this artical on it. It explains a lot:

http://www.customwooddesign.com/turninggreenwood-1.html

Trophy_Taker

Cool article Basser69 thanks for posting.  How's that new trumpet working out for ya?

Matt...

Basser69

Trophy,

I have actually gotten more into turning pens than I have the yelpers. I actually had my 13 year old stepson turing yesterday....I will get making  them here in the next month or so. I have gotta get everything done for Christmas first.

Thanks for asking!

Scott

Crutch

I think the number 1 product on the market now is Pentacryl. (spelling?). My BIL has turned green bowls and just drops the bowl in the pentacryl for 30 minutes or so then lets it drain. The bowl does not crack as it cures out.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble: