OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Supplies

Started by mossybird, February 16, 2011, 08:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossybird

Hey guys! Got all the equipment for call making. Just wondering where you get the wood? Lowes?

Kevin

Cut*N*Run

You'll mostly only find construction lumber at Lowe's- other than maybe some oak or cherry shelf boards which would be fine. I would say try to find a furniture-grade lumber yard in your area, or check out the lumber listings on ebay.

mossybird

Quote from: Cut*N*Run on February 16, 2011, 08:43:31 PM
You'll mostly only find construction lumber at Lowe's- other than maybe some oak or cherry shelf boards which would be fine. I would say try to find a furniture-grade lumber yard in your area, or check out the lumber listings on ebay.
Yeah, man. Thanks. Theres a Lumber Liquidators outside my house about 20 miles. Should they have the good stuff?

Kevin

What type of calls?  For pot calls you are usually dealing with a hardwood and lowes may have oak and poplar.  Try to find it at the best price possible but it needs to be dry.  Woodcraft will always have a great selection but not the best prices.  Look for a local or nearby lumber dealer that sells hardwood.  A few board feet will yield a bunch of pots.  

Good Luck,
Chris

mossybird

Mainly boxes. Im gonna run out to Lowes to see of they have some tomorrow. Thanks a lot for your help.

Kevin

Cut*N*Run

Quote from: mossybird on February 16, 2011, 08:45:49 PM
Yeah, man. Thanks. Theres a Lumber Liquidators outside my house about 20 miles. Should they have the good stuff?

Kevin

Worth a shot- give them a call. IMO, something like cedar might be a good first choice because it will be very easy to work with and forgiving but sound great- no matter what kind of calls you're making.

You might also scour graigslist, the dump, and "free" piles in yards for old furniture. Sometimes people are willing to give away hundreds of dollars in turkey calls just because they mistake them for an old dresser or headboard  ;)

mossybird

Quote from: Cut*N*Run on February 16, 2011, 08:56:42 PM
Quote from: mossybird on February 16, 2011, 08:45:49 PM

Kevin

Worth a shot- give them a call. IMO, something like cedar might be a good first choice because it will be very easy to work with and forgiving but sound great- no matter what kind of calls you're making.

You might also scour graigslist, the dump, and "free" piles in yards for old furniture. Sometimes people are willing to give away hundreds of dollars in turkey calls just because they mistake them for an old dresser or headboard  ;)
:lol: Yeah I was thinking ceder. I got some old wood in my workshop but its not thick at all. Im gonna call Lumber Liquidators tomorrow. Thanks a lot for your help!

Kevin

smurf

A great source is old wooden pallets.  You'd be surprised at what wood they throw into those.  I've gotten walnut, cherry, poplar, sycamore, and many others and it's free. 
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

mossybird

Quote from: smurf on February 16, 2011, 09:05:04 PM
A great source is old wooden pallets.  You'd be surprised at what wood they throw into those.  I've gotten walnut, cherry, poplar, sycamore, and many others and it's free. 
Well thats a great source for me. My dads a tractor trailer driver and carries groceries and the company throws pallets out the building to be picked up by trash truck type thing.

Kevin

selinoid44

And you can always laminate wood. Glue that stuff together!

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

misfire

I have very little at Home Depot or Lowes that would make a decent box. One place to look is local lumberyards and cabinet shops. Also, tree cutting services are a great supply of interesting woods too
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

stone road turkey calls

try got wood @turningblanks.net they have great wood at good prices, most of there wood is wet so you need to buy it for future use. they do have board stock and will cut it 4x4x1. take a look
gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call