OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is there a real difference in 1090FPS and 1200FPS?

Started by TheSportsman, February 16, 2011, 10:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

In comparing the Hevi13 Loads, the MagBlends are rated at 1200 and the Standard 2 1/4oz (3.5") Loads are rated at 1090- is that a big difference?  I would think the slower load would in most cases would show a lil better pattern but the extra velocity in the MagBlend load would help in a field/hunting situation in terms of trying to stretch a shot. 

Here in the next couple days... I am taking a Rem. 870, SuperMag(3.5") wl a 23" polished barrel to the range... I have 2 chokes to play with as of right now- a Indian Creek .665 and a Jellyhead .665.  I have some Winchester XR 3.5" 2oz 6s and some MagBlend 3.5" 2 1/4oz loads....  The reason for this post is I was "thinking" of picking up some Hevi 3.5" 2 1/4oz 6s to try in the two chokes I have.  I saw a post a while back that stated the 6s in the Hevi, had great knockdown power- better than than the 7s at farther distances.(Not that I am trying to shoot extremely far, 99% of my birds are killed within 35-40 yards)  BUT you never know when that ole field birds is gonna hang up at that 50 to 55 yard mark.  I will be blunt- the 7s scare me...  I know people will argue with me that they will kill a bird at 65 yards and i know that the MagBlends are full of them and that they 5s in Magblends just take up space...  Im sure the 7s would pattern awesome out of my gun though. 

It kinds of a toss of up....  I talked to a gentleman yesterday where I got the IC choke.  He said stick with the MagBlends- since they were 1200FPS vs 1090 Loads that they would be better on paper.  BUT as we all know, every gun and choke combo is going to be different. I guess what I am asking is, try and stick with the Magblends at 1200 or try out a 1090 2 1/4oz #6s Load?

sugarray

Try them both and see.  I think you will be happier with the 2 1/4 oz #6 load. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: sugarray on February 16, 2011, 11:03:50 AM
Try them both and see.  I think you will be happier with the 2 1/4 oz #6 load.  

I agree.  And if he were to actually try that same load in the 7's and shoot a turkey with them or see how much better the 7's will out pattern the 6's he would probably be even more happier.   :z-paddy-smiley113:

ILIKEHEVI-13

I will add I was one of the biggest skeptics on the Hevi-13 #7 loads.  But after seeing how they pattern in both of my guns and the results of what they will do to a big gobbler at 45yds I ain't anymore. 

HogBiologist

I kinda have to laugh about all the HS shot sizes and blends.  Unless their screening process is more refined now, arent all of their shells just a non labled Mag blend?  THe only real difference i bet ( if you opened a Mag blend and a HS #6 or 7) would be the FPS the pellets are traveling, correct?  I know alot of folks have disected the shells, what were the sizes/counts per size of the shells?
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Gobble!

Quote from: LaBiologist on February 16, 2011, 11:40:49 AM
I kinda have to laugh about all the HS shot sizes and blends.  Unless their screening process is more refined now, arent all of their shells just a non labled Mag blend?  THe only real difference i bet ( if you opened a Mag blend and a HS #6 or 7) would be the FPS the pellets are traveling, correct?  I know alot of folks have disected the shells, what were the sizes/counts per size of the shells?

i disected a #7 shell the other week. The pellets all appearded to be the same size other then the snowmen pellets

WyoHunter

Theoretically one might be better than the other but in practice I doubt you'll see a difference .They'll both kill turkeys at 50yards!   :fud:  :newmascot:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

hookedspur

Quote from: Gobble! on February 16, 2011, 12:04:14 PM
Quote from: LaBiologist on February 16, 2011, 11:40:49 AM

i disected a #7 shell the other week. The pellets all appearded to be the same size other then the snowmen pellets

I chcked thls and found them the same also
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions