Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what do you do if you come across a bear in the woods?

Started by new2turkey, February 16, 2011, 10:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbrhuntr

Snoody Bastid

Last May me and my Springer Spaniel had a 500+ pounder cross our path about 25yds in front of us. He just stopped and looked at us. I froze in my tracks and my dog chased him like a lunatic. He came back in one piece (my dog) about 1 minute later. I havent seen one hunting yet, but I know it's going to happen soon. Seems like more bears are coming up from north Jersey every year. I saw five in person last year. 2 in the woods and 3 walking around my complex. I think I'll have to start carrying my .45 Colt with hardcast rounds..

new2turkey

Quote from: timbrhuntr on February 18, 2011, 04:00:44 PM
Here is the best advice I have seen.

That's awesome!  :TooFunny:

Quote from: Snoody Bastid on February 19, 2011, 01:09:30 AM
Last May me and my Springer Spaniel had a 500+ pounder cross our path about 25yds in front of us. He just stopped and looked at us. I froze in my tracks and my dog chased him like a lunatic. He came back in one piece (my dog) about 1 minute later. I havent seen one hunting yet, but I know it's going to happen soon. Seems like more bears are coming up from north Jersey every year. I saw five in person last year. 2 in the woods and 3 walking around my complex. I think I'll have to start carrying my .45 Colt with hardcast rounds..

This year I want to get a sidearm as well.

birdman24

Three 3 yrs ago I had a very large cinnamon colored bore 8 yrds from me while turkey hunting in Colorado.  He came in upwind and walked past at 8 yrds then caught my scent downwind and was gone.  Whole encounter was probably less than a minute but felt quite a bit longer than that.  I sat very still but did have the safety off in case I needed to make a very loud noise!!!  Had no intention of shooting him.  Don't think I could have gotten an accurate shot off with as fast as they run.  I felt reasonably calm but not sure I would've felt the same if it had been a sow with cubs.