OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

what do you do if you come across a bear in the woods?

Started by new2turkey, February 16, 2011, 10:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limbstrutter

SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

wisconsinteacher

I would and have watched them.  They are a cool animal and fun to hunt.  When I am in the woods and see one, I just sit back and watch the show.

StruttinGobbler3

Glad we don't have bears around here. On the other hand, I would probably trade the rattlesnakes and water moccasins for a few bears.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

guesswho

I'd do what he usually does in the woods, then takes his picture and go on about my way.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

neal

Usually like to come at them like a spidermonkey with guns a blazin!!  :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

Seriously I ran into 5 in one day last year up here in WI they see you they run away, besides odds are your carrying a shotgun he gets a little outta hand....... :fud:
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

mossy835

I take a spider monkey on a leash to distract the bear until I fumble around and find my lethal shell (for the bear). We had two bears attack people here in WA (east side) last year and my intent is to not be number 3. I have run across bears in the wild and so far they have left me alone. But you can keep your snakes as I do not have enough shells with me to shoot them all!! North of here they use whistles to let the bears know someone is around and that seems to work but for me it is dead coyote or buck shot just in case and I hope I never have to use it.

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

bird

Quote from: moore on February 16, 2011, 11:55:39 AM
if your unarmed they say you should get in the fetal postion and act like your dead.

And then crap your pants and hope the smell scares him away!

CASH

Quote from: bird on February 16, 2011, 11:57:12 AM
Quote from: moore on February 16, 2011, 11:55:39 AM
if your unarmed they say you should get in the fetal postion and act like your dead.

And then crap your pants and hope the smell scares him away!
:TooFunny:

My brother came across a bear while hiking one time.  Ran away throwing the PB&J sandwhiches he had in his backpack on the ground.  :TooFunny:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Basser69

I would stroke out, after I craped my pants because we don't have enough bears in Alabama to worry about

Solid Snake

Man I'm glad I live in Indiana!! I don't know how you guys go into the woods in the AM before the sun is up knowing there are bears around!

bird

Quote from: Shaw24 on February 16, 2011, 12:20:28 PM
Man I'm glad I live in Indiana!! I don't know how you guys go into the woods in the AM before the sun is up knowing there are bears around!

I use to feel very comfortable walking in and out the woods here in Iowa while bow hunting years ago.  I always figured the worst thing I would ever run into in the dark here in Iowa would be a coon that couldn't get out of my way fast enough.  Until one night as I was walking up a CRP hill back to my truck I got an uneasy feeling about something, so I turned around and there I see a cougar about 6 feet long dark grey in color and a 3 foot long tail sneaking down the grassy hillside right into the trees from which I just left.  I was wondering why I hadn't seen any deer all evening long and that pretty much answered my question right there.  I wonder how long he had been sitting up there on the hillside in the grass watching me with my bow in my hand. 

MarkJM

On a more serious note, I have been charged by a bear before. I was about 11 years old out in the woods by myself. My heart raced so fast I didnt even know what to do. I just stood there and screamed like a little school girl. The sound of my peircing scream thankfully made the bear stop and turn the other way. he was about 10 yards away when he stopped for 3 seconds then ran. So I guess screaming like a school girl helps.
MuellerCustomCalls

sugarray

Quote from: MarkJM on February 16, 2011, 12:37:25 PM
On a more serious note, I have been charged by a bear before. I was about 11 years old out in the woods by myself. My heart raced so fast I didnt even know what to do. I just stood there and screamed like a little school girl. The sound of my peircing scream thankfully made the bear stop and turn the other way. he was about 10 yards away when he stopped for 3 seconds then ran. So I guess screaming like a school girl helps.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

I just laughed out loud at work.  Good thing I'm on lunch.