OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

what do you do if you come across a bear in the woods?

Started by new2turkey, February 16, 2011, 10:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2turkey

Not to sound paranoid or anything,   :help:

but what do you do if you're in "your spot" and a bear wanders into view?

Do you remain quiet and try to hide your presence? What happens if he continues closer to you, unaware of your presence?

Again, not trying to sound paranoid or anything, and I'll probably never need to use this information, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

And I think the experienced woodsman from OG are the right people to ask.

I don't want to be in the woods, presented with this scenario, and do the wrong thing, thinking I am doing the right thing.  :bike2:
:TrainWreck1:

redarrow

If its a sow with cubs. Get outta there. A bear by its self probably isn't a threat.If you feel uncomfortable about it go the other way.

West Augusta

I have walked the ridge in the dark to my hunting spot and found every large rock flipped over.  Didn't give me an easy feeling.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

drum817

Quote from: new2turkey on February 16, 2011, 10:34:15 AM

but what do you do if you're in "your spot" and a bear wanders into view?

Then "My Spot" just became "His Spot"....  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

socalturkeyman

A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

sugarray

I wouldn't do anything, even if it is a sow with cubs.  She will likely wind you before she gets close enough to worry about.  Just keep your gun on her.  She will run if shot with any turkey load.  This would be a worst case though.  If you are uncomfortable, stand up and move around, they will go away.

VAHUNTER

i had one at 15yards last year. looked to weigh around 200#. they will not bother you unless they have cubs and see you as a threat. most of the time they are more scared of you than you of them
Good things come to those who wait

MarkJM

I usually stand up on my hind legs and growl. Sadly everytime I do this, I get mauled.
MuellerCustomCalls

Basser69

Hognutz

My buddies grandpa told us once..If you see a bear in the woods. Watch him. If he takes a step, you take a step. If he takes two steps, you take two steps. Then, when you get face to face with him, reach into your pants and rub some poop in his eyes. Then you run like heck. When we asked about the poop, he says ''don't worry, it will be there''.

On a serious note, a bear will more than likely run away when he sees you. Unless they are threatened, or as Red said, with cubs. In either case, you don't want to be around to see what's about to happen. Back out the way you came in, and with as little commotion as possible. Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Hognutz

Quote from: MarkJM on February 16, 2011, 10:52:59 AM
I usually stand up on my hind legs and growl. Sadly everytime I do this, I get mauled.

Now that's funny, right there.. :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

bird

PANYHunter

I would probably stay still and let it wander by if it hasn't seen me.  If it has seen me then it probably isn't sure what I am yet so it may come closer to investigate, in that case I would probably get up and try to scare it off.  If it's aggressive hopefully the blast from a 3.5" will scare it off.  Not sure if that is correct or not but probably it's what i would do.  A few years ago my buddy and I were hunting and we heard what sounded like a rabbit squeal.  Well it ended up being a lost bear cub running around.  Anyway we had some turkeys gobbling and we set up on them.  After about 5 minutes we saw a bear about 40 yards away scratching its back on a tree with no cub in sight.  Luckily she didn't know we were there and we slowly backed out.  Looking back it probably would have been better to find some different turkeys than set up around a lost cub.  Luckily we weren't too far from the house so I could go change my pants.     

Jay

Slowly walk away, and don't run. Animals run into each other all the time, and usually the trouble starts when one moves at the other. I think animals react to running by chasing. If you get a follow, get out of the open into heavy woods. In the open you are toast being you are slow compared to a Bear. In heavy woods, you have a much better chance of ditching him, and he can't run you down as easily. If he seems persistent, its time to get loud. Grab a stick, smack brush, yell a LOT, and keep walking. I don't know if animals can sense fear, but now is the time tototally get pissed off. You now have become maybe not as easy prey as you seemed, but being you are still moving away you are not showing aggression. It's like a dog growling a warning to back off. Remember Black Bears are excellent climbers, so that route isn't recommended except in a very last resort.