OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rikon vrs. Delta lathe question

Started by Basser69, October 06, 2011, 05:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basser69

I am looking to buy a new lathe and I was looking at the Delta with adjustable speed on the face & reverse and the Rikon lathes today. The Delta was 589 with a 50 dollar mail-in rebate (539 net) and the Rikon was 389. My Question is the Delta worth the extra $150??? Delta 1 hp motor, Rikon 3/4.  Delta looks to be beefer and heaver than the Rikon but that was just from looking at them. Ok guys lets hear some thoughts.

Thanks......Scott

pappy

Scott, I may be biased since I own the Rikon, but here goes.....the delta does have the advantage of the extra 1/4 hp., now depending on whether or not you are looking at the 460 or the 455...the 460 being the variable $590.00 to 650.00 according to where you get one and the 455 $345.00 to 490.00 range since it is the one with the manual the adjustable 5 speed. The rikon I have is the 70 100 with the indexing head, you have to adjust it like the 455 delta by changing the position of the drive belt. $360.00 to 400.00 depending on where you get it. The rikon 70-200EVS with the AC motor has the speed controlled by an inverter box which provides more torque than a standard DC motor. So actually you are getting more horsepower and torque out of it then a traditional 1/2" ... but you are paying more for the option....$630.00 to 700.00 depending on where you get it.
Now the variable delta has the forward and reverse like the big boys, this is a great help in sanding or reverse turning, the variable rikon has 9 - 1/2" swing over the bed where the delta would have 12 - 1/2" ....
I love my rikon, it does me well, as I use my Nova 3000DVR of larger projects like pot calls......so depending on your work ideals.....I would, (and this hurts me to say it) would go with the delta....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

merocustomcalls

I've got a Rikon myself and I love it.  I don't have the need for turning very large projects so the middle size works for me.  I've had mine for over three years now and it still runs like new. 

Basser69

Jack and Brian, I respect both of your opinions. I will be straight up honest with y'all. I did swap and trade with Craig Scott (aka muddpuppi) for a trumpet last spring and killed a bird opening day with it. Needless to say, I am head over heels for them. I own 19 trumpets right now and want to try my hand at trying to turn a couple of them. I don't want to turn pots (I  don't hunt with them). This is just for trumpets and a few top water fishing baits. So any info you might want to pm me would be great  ;D. I get a good bit of free wood through the shop that my yahoos have a habit of tossing in the dumpster unless I salvage it.
I figure that I might as well make saw dust out of it.

thanks again guys!

Scott

pappy

Scott, I would then chose the rikon since you are intending on turning smaller objects. You can still purchase chucks and face plates for the rikon, as the head stock is 1" X 8 tpi., the only thing about the rikon is the spindle stop for fluting, it is weaker then most and with the belt driven operation, you need to be careful not to turn on the machine with it engaged.  Unlike my Nova 3000DVR which will automatically turn the machine off, any belt driven lathe will continue to run until you manually turn it off.
Like Brian, I use my rikon 85% of the time, I turn duck and goose calls and crochet hooks and whistles and most anything that will fit between the tail stock and head. They are tough machines, I purchased the adjustable stand, solid as a rock, and it is so important to get the lathe at the right height for proper turning. It needs to be set to where your elbow, with chisel in place like you were turning on the lathe, is as close to center line with the imaginary center running parallel with the piece held between the head and tail. Good luck indeed, on your turning efforts. pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Basser69

Pappy, thanks for the heads up on the fluting and all of the other info  :icon_thumright:

Scott