turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

cedar question?

Started by Houndstooth Game Calls, October 06, 2011, 10:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndstooth Game Calls

I have been turning and playing with cedar pots and ceramic over glass combo and aluminum over glass and just cant get it to sound worth a crap adjusted here and there but I am wondering if its the bottom thickness thats the culprit I am keeping it at 1/4 thick and the walls close to a 1/4 thick kinda hard to keep that exact unless I just keep the sides somewhat square.Played with thickness of pedestal I know I have read about making my pedestals total width wider almost out to the edge of the sound holes but I dont see how that would work but who knows. Played with thickness of pedestal. I really like cedar its more than easy for me to get where I live. let me here some of your experiences with cedar any pointers on this wood for pots would be greatly appreciated and by the way its eastern red cedar! Thanks-lyle

WillowRidgeCalls

Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

swampgobbler

What's wrong with the sound?  On softer woods, the bottom thickness needs to be a little thicker, but you may want to play with pedestal height.

Cletus Classic

Do you have a baffle plate under the glass/slate? We have found that the closer the 2 are together, without touching, the better the sound. It will give that great "Crack" sound.