Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

THIS LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE......SUNDAY DEVOTIONAL 09-18-11

Started by pappy, September 17, 2011, 10:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."  Psalms 119:105. 
When I was a kid growing up, I loved to watch Bella Lugosi in those old vampire movies, man would I be scared! I hated the dark, cause around every corner I just knew one of those things was gonna jump out and grab me...then one night coming back from a friend's house who lived across a couple fields from us, things really got bad....I had a teeny lil' aluminum flashlight, one of those old 2 cell lights, it barely worked, and about half way home it quit working altogether. I depended on that tiny light, I gripped it in my hand so tight, I shook it like crazy, but still nothing....I WAS SCARED PLUMB OUT OF MY WITS END!
As an adult, I laugh to think about that...but also as an adult I can spiritually relate, as I was wandering around in the darkness of sin for so long, clinging onto the teeny tiny light of self-righteousness, and just like that lil' flashlight it kept getting dimmer and dimmer and dimmer....and I wonder why? Why would God allow me to walk so long in the dark?
I finally realized, it had to get dark enough for me to look for that wonderful Lighthouse on the hill! I had to quit depending on my lil' teeny tiny light of self and set my eyes on the prize....and when I did that, God shined His light on my path...
Today I still travel the same paths of life as always, but...God's word lights my way...I still like those old black and white Bella Lugosi and Lon Chaney movies, and I still don't like the dark, just ask my wife, BUT.....Psalm 27:1
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
I know, in my heart of hearts, that the strength and faith I find in the word of God, will lead me safely home.....and I am not talking about 511 South Fourth Street in Lilbourn Missouri either.
Many a good Christian can and most has strayed from the path lit by God, what can they (we) do if that happens?
Forsake the ways of the world. If you're not doing it God's way, then your not walking by faith. Make a clean break.
Return to worship. In order to do that you must have a clean heart. Make it your priority to humble yourself before Him, ask for forgiveness, and do so with sincerity.  Do it now. Don't let anything deter you.
Resume your walk of faith. What that means is that you will again live like you trust God rather than trusting in your own devises. God will take care of you if you commit yourself to Him in obedience – even when it looks like a perilous choice.
You see, when I was a child I thought like one....on my journey back to my house, I didn't really see any vampires or werewolves, it was still dark, and I did a lot of stumbling, but eventually I could see the porch light and man did I run......there is nothing like a light in the darkness, that will give you the confidence to finish your journey....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

turkey slayer