turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Subcompact CCW Pistols, Springfield vs. Sig

Started by Stoner, September 12, 2011, 04:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoner

I have narrowed my search for a subcompact pistol to carry to two models. First is the Sig P250 subcompact that was update this last June to have an accessory rail. Here is a link to the updated model:  http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/10998/sig-sauer-p250-subcompact-with-accessory-rail/
The other gun is the Springfield Armory XD subcompact. Here is the link for that pistol: http://www.xdpistols.com/item/58074_Springfield_Armory_Hand_Guns_Pistols_Springfield_XD9822HCSP06_.aspx
I have no interest in the 9MM, the minimum that I would consider is the .40. The Sig firearm comes in the .40 and the .357 Sig. The .357 Sig has perked my interest. Ammo is not readily available but can be found. I have looked for the Sig P250 subcompact online chambered in the .357 Sig but have not found one yet. So the guns chambered in the .357 Sig are somewhat scarce as well. From what I have read the federal law enforcement use the Sig chambered in the .357 Sig as well as the Mississippi HWY Patrol. Overall I like the Sig and feel it is a quality weapon. The Sig pistol is made in Germany (I think but am not absolutely sure on that issue).
The Springfield XD subcompact is chambered in .40 and I have read on a few sites that it comes in .45 ACP as well. The Springfield website does not show this. If anyone can confirm that the Springfield comes in a .45 in their subcompact line that information would be helpful. The Springfield has a couple of features that the Sig did not have. It has a tab on the top of the slide that tells you by feel if a round is in the chamber. It also has a tab on the back of the action that tells you by feel if the gun is cocked. Two very nice features that I wish the Sig had, but not necessarily a deal-breaker. Springfield also has a promotion going on now that if you purchase a XD pistol you can get two extra clips at no additional cost. The Springfield XD pistol is made in Croatia.
I did want an accessory rail and now both guns have one since Sig updated the P250 last June. I would like something a little larger then a .40 but still in a subcompact pistol.
I would be interested in hearing comments from the Springfield and Sig owners.

busta biggun

I use the Springfield Subcompact in .40 for concealed carry and I love it. I know there are several others here that carry this weapon as well. I agree with the .40 as a mininum as you could shoot through a car door if needed and drop a bad guy more effectively with a larger caliber. Due to the size it conceals nicely if you use the short clip. If you put the  extended clip in it handles a little bit better, so I will carry the big clip in my pocket. The .40 does not jump that much with the short clip but I would think a .45 would have a noticeable diffence in recoil. Plus more rounds with a .40 i believe. You should shoot any gun before buying if possible. Good luck.

Stoner

Busta thanks for your input. The is quite a CCW holster that you have there, is it comfortable? I believe that is the same one I have seen advertised on the Outdoor Channel.

CB on the run

Don't be so quick to discount the 9mm.  The round is very effective especially with 147 grain bullets.  Some PD's are going back to the 9mm because of marginal shooters.  I carry a Rohrbaugh R9 9mm off duty and a Glock 22 40 cal on.  I found that my former off duty carry, a Glock 27 40 cal., often stayed home especially in the summer when wearing shorts & tee shirt.  There are also a wide variety of nice pocket sized .380's on the market and a dramatic improvement in .380 performance ammo.  The best gun is the one you have with you.  I'm just giving you an alternative to think about.  Good luck with your purchace.

CB

busta biggun

Quote from: Stoner on September 13, 2011, 12:16:23 AM
Busta thanks for your input. The is quite a CCW holster that you have there, is it comfortable? I believe that is the same one I have seen advertised on the Outdoor Channel.

It's a Crossbreed Supertuck. Very comfortable. Get a good holster and a good belt. I don't even know it's on. I understand were CB is coming from, you need to carry something that isn't a pain to wear, or too bulky. With the Supertuck, I can carry with a t-shirt and it just looks like a cell phone.

CASH

CB is right.  I carry a .40, but am thinking about another 9mm.  Especially for the range.  The ammo is much cheaper.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Tail Feathers

Of the two you have selected, I hear more folks loving their Springfield's.
Sig makes a fine weapon too but Springfield seems to be outselling them by quite a margin.

You can't miss with either.  Which one feels better in your hand goes a long way.  If the Sig fits better, go for it.

But I'd watch the .357.  Those hot little rounds sure induce some muzzle flip.  May be hard to handle in a smaller frame gun.  Great round but maybe not for a subcompact.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

AU coonhunter

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have a xdm sub compact 40 that I carry an love it. If you do choose the springfield look into getting a pearce mag extension for the short mag. It adds an extra finger width and makes for easier control.