OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

100-200-300-400 in the 10 " circle

Started by R AJ, February 15, 2011, 07:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

It is almost getting to the question of how wet do you have to be to say you went swimming. When you start getting more than 150 or so shot in a 10" circle at a given distance you don't really need any more at that distance to kill a turkey for crying out loud.
If you are trying to win the NWTF or local turkey shoots then yes, maybe you do want to see how many little tiny holes you can make in a target .

Just don't lose sight of your purpose or goal when it comes to turkey hunting because those live targets come in at different distances and they sometimes move a little as well. Too tight can be too bad. Another post today showing a factory full  shows that at 30 yards a little off may be a miss. Just use common sense . If 30 yards is about as far as you take a shot then you do not have to worry about how your pattern is at 40-50 yards. We see someone stating such as ," I bet that pattern is a lot different at 40 yards", and it might be. If you are shooting your birds at 20-30 yards then that is the pattern that you want to be warm and cozy with . A guy who can place 300 +shot in a 10" circle @ 40 yds.can either cut the neck into or miss at 20-30- yards. The choice is up to you. 

knightrider

Jbird22

WyoHunter

Very good post RAJ! It's good to know how your gun patterns a particular load as a point of reference in our pursuit of the wily gobbler but for me it's not how many pellets it's how dense the pattern looks on paper. I'm not a contest shooter just a turkey hunter.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

jakesdad

Couldnt agree more!While I admire the guys that like to tinker a lot with chokes and loads and get the super high 10" numbers,its not really for me.I dont care for super super tight loads.I'll take 90 evenly placed killing pellets in a 10" at 40 over 150+ in a baseball sized pattern anyday.While more is sometimes better and in this case doesnt usually hurt,less isnt always a bad thing.Know your limitations and if it suits you and is lethal at YOUR ranges,the heck to what other people say or think.Dead is dead.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

hookedspur

Well technically 1 in the right spot will work ,but the more you throw the better the odds you will get one in that spot.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

sugarray

Quote from: hookedspur on February 15, 2011, 08:48:41 PM
Well technically 1 in the right spot will work ,but the more you throw the better the odds you will get one in that spot.

EXACTLY!!!! :z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley:

drum817

Quote from: hookedspur on February 15, 2011, 08:48:41 PM

I tend to agree with you.  I personally shoot pretty big numbers in the 10" @ 40 yards....BUT, I practice at 10 & 20 yards also.  I know EXACTLY what my pattern is at ALL ranges.  It's the way I like to hunt....hey, if someone wants to shoot lead #4's through a modified choke I do not care as long as they have done their homework and know their limitations  :boon:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

GOLD HUNTER

i like a lot of shot, But i killm be 4 they get to the 25yd line.  :newmascot:

some like it open But i just like my loads tight.

Brian

runngun

This is the way I see it. Some folks use patterning their guns to get them fired up for the season. But as for me I like to shoot different guns with different chokes and shells and get the most out of it I can. I do this not because it is neccessary but because it is a WHOLE LOT OF FUN!! It is fun shooting and trying to see what will happen.  Turkey hunting is addictive, and for me the shooting is addictive. I am not in it for a competition or try to out do someone else. As I said it is FUN.

BTW The first turkey I ever killed years and years ago was killed with a sawed off 870 with #9 lead 2 3/4.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well both my guns will give great 10" numbers and extemely good 20" numbers as well.  And to me that is what you want.  Both my guns with factory bead pretty much shoot deadnut time after time.  That's the way I want it. 

VAHUNTER

i agree . you need to know how your setup patterns at different distances. if it was a perfect world and you  knew that every bird would come into 20 or 30 yards you would not have to worry how many pellets you have at 40yds. but it is not a perfect world and sometimes Gobblers hang up at 45 and 50 yards no matter how good of a hunter you are. that is why i try to get the most out of my turkey killer. i love to call them close.some of my best hunts i went home empty handed. but once in a while i like to take a turkey home
Good things come to those who wait

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 15, 2011, 09:43:08 PM
i agree . you need to know how your setup patterns at different distances. if it was a perfect world and you  knew that every bird would come into 20 or 30 yards you would not have to worry how many pellets you have at 40yds. but it is not a perfect world and sometimes Gobblers hang up at 45 and 50 yards no matter how good of a hunter you are. that is why i try to get the most out of my turkey killer. i love to call them close.some of my best hunts i went home empty handed. but once in a while i like to take a turkey home

Well said.

I call it doing your homework.   :z-paddy-smiley113:

shootumindaface

Good post Raj.. Anything above 150 is worthless unless you are trying to extend your range.. I have really backed off on this after missing more turkeys some years than most kill.. I simply realized 80% of the birds I kill the setup is so they are 25 and in.

VAHUNTER

last year there was a post here on OG. the 300 club. i knew that i would never be in it. why?? because after i got to a certain # i was satisfied. my 835 is set up for 1 purpose. to kill.
Good things come to those who wait