turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Indian Creek .665 RemChoke w/ 3.5" Magblends-

Started by TheSportsman, February 15, 2011, 07:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Who uses this setup? How do you like it? What kind of numbers are you puttin up? Im gonna compare it on the pattern boards to a JH .665 and see how they face up... Wonder who will be the winner?!    :groupwave:

runngun

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I shot both those chokes to compare with the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's and both were about the same.  Nothing to write home about with just a little over 200 shot in the 10" at 40yds.  The .669 Indian Creek BDS and the MAD Super Max .675 smokes both those chokes in my 28" 870 barrel.  It was night and day difference. 

Gobble!

Indian Creek as long as it does not split open lol

redleg06

I shot that EXACT combo this past weekend with JH.665, PG, IC and the 3.5 blends.

The PG was the winner at 232 and the most even pattern.
IC was second - 228 I believe
JH-220 

JH actually looked better than the IC due to a nice even pattern but all 3 were very very nice and I would have been happy to hunt with any of them.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: redleg06 on February 16, 2011, 08:20:15 AM
I shot that EXACT combo this past weekend with JH.665, PG, IC and the 3.5 blends.

JH-220  

JH actually looked better than the IC due to a nice even pattern but all 3 were very very nice and I would have been happy to hunt with any of them.

If the Pure Gold was a .670 which is what they sell to stores like Cabelas then it really isn't fair to compare different chokes with different constrictions to see the outcome for you don't really know how a .670 would do in each of the other chokes.  More than likely the .670 just was the better constriction choke in your barrel.  

bird

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 16, 2011, 09:31:33 AM
Quote from: redleg06 on February 16, 2011, 08:20:15 AM

JH-220 

The Pure Gold was a .670 for all Pure Gold chokes are like they sell to Cabelas.  Not really fair to compare different chokes with different constrictions to see the outcome for you don't really know how a .670 would do in each of the other chokes.  More than likely the .670 just was the better constriction choke in your barrel. 

Now think about what you just said.  If the .670 PG is a better constriction for a more uniform and consistent pattern then "WHY" would people continuely use a .665 constriction in the other brand of chokes?  If the .665 chokes from the other companies can't get the same numbers and pattern as a PG .670 then maybe they should "PUSH" their .670 constriction chokes.... or maybe the answer to that question is that they other companies .670 chokes can't match the .670 of the PG choke either.... hmmmmmm food for thought!

bird

PS.... I have tested the .665 PG choke and no it did not pattern better than the JH .665, IC .665 or the SSX chokes.  But the others couldn't top that of the .670 choke either.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Bird, Did you try a .670 Indian Creek choke? 

ILIKEHEVI-13

And I have talked to Mike at Indian Creek one day recently about that same thought.  I told him that he may want to consider going to like a .669 or .670 for shooting the Hevi-13 loads since the .669 was night and day difference in my 28" Rem barrel.  I also told him the .665 Indian Creek BDS choke shot no better than the Jelly Head for me.  He said he would check into it.  But then he told me the reason why they recommend the .665 is that it yields the best patterns for both lead and Hevi-13 shooters.  Also the reason why Mike can't offer more choke constrictions to the public like at Bass Pro Shops is because Bass Pro wants to keep it simple and they think that a bunch of different choke constrictions would only confuse people.  

bird

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 16, 2011, 09:50:03 AM

Nope... I wasn't going to buy several IC chokes and test them to find the one that worked best for me but Bill Davis did send me 5 different chokes to test with different constrictions and the .670 was the best of the bunch.

I'll take that back on the .665 PG choke not patterning better than the IC .665.  It was the .660 PG that didn't pattern better than the IC .665.  Actually the .665 PG did have a better pattern than the .665 IC but the .670 was even better than that so of course I would stay with the PG .670

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: bird on February 16, 2011, 10:04:31 AM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 16, 2011, 09:50:03 AM

Nope... I wasn't going to buy several IC chokes and test them to find the one that worked best for me but Bill Davis did send me 5 different chokes to test with different constrictions and the .670 was the best of the bunch.

I'll take that back on the .665 PG choke not patterning better than the IC .665.  It was the .660 PG that didn't pattern better than the IC .665.  Actually the .665 PG did have a better pattern than the .665 IC but the .670 was even better than that so of course I would stay with the PG .670

Well then we both seem to agree that the .670 or I guess I should say .669 for mine is the better patterning choke constriction in our 870 barrels.  I tested the .665 Indian Creek and then tried the .655 and it shot better than the .665 by a wide margin.  Then I tried the .669 and it was tighter yet and just super numbers for both 10" and 20".  Then I tried the .675 which is the same size constriction as my Super Max.  But it didn't shoot as good as the .669.  So I kept it.  Thanks for telling us your results.  That is interesting.  

TheSportsman

Wow--- ok so maybe I should of ordered a Pure Gold .670 rather than buyin the IC??? Did i mess up?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: TheSportsman on February 16, 2011, 10:37:03 AM
Wow--- ok so maybe I should of ordered a Pure Gold .670 rather than buyin the IC??? Did i mess up?

Well I can't say that for a fact, but I can tell you the .665 Indian Creek in my barrel wasn't anything to brag about.  There are quite a few guys that have .665 Indian Creek chokes and swear by them.  I guess to be more scientific I would have to test .665 Indian Creek BDS chokes in like 10 different 870 barrels to see what typically seem to work the best in them.  That ought to give you a good sample margin to say that if a .665 Indian Creek is better or worse than a .670 Indian Creek or .670 Pure Gold for that matter.  But Like I said earlier, I like to compare the same constriction size chokes against other brands so I know that a different constriction isn't effecting the results so I know for sure which choke is shooting the best.  

bird

Quote from: TheSportsman on February 16, 2011, 10:37:03 AM

No you didn't mess up.  There are lots of people that will say the opposite of what I told you.  Every gun and choke will actually differently then another exactly like it shooting the same exact shell.  You just have to find what "Your" gun likes.  We can have the same exact gun but find that our guns like a different choke with the same shell.  It just so happens that my gun prefers a PG 670. choke over the other and I'm happy with that.  I have found the hunting setup that makes me confident in my shot pattern.  I myself have no need to look any further.  Nice and tight, full and even but yet very consistent.  Notice the important words here, Tight, Full, Even and Consistent.  

Good Luck ~ Hunt Safe ~ Take Lots of Pictures

bird