turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Friday Devotional 9/9/2011 " A Focus on Fairness"

Started by BOFF, September 07, 2011, 08:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

Sorry for posting early. I won't be able to post later this week, so I need to do so now, or not do it. I was reading my daily devotional today, as it focused on fairness, and it stuck me, I couldn't of been the example Armando Galarraga had been. I would of fussed, questioned, and probably pouted openly in public of my disagreement. This is taken from Our Daily Bread written by David C. McCasland.

During the past 135 years of Major League Baseball, only 20 pitchers have thrown a perfect game. On June 2, 2010, Armando Galarraga of the Detroit Tigers would have been number 21 but an umpire's mistake denied him what every pitcher dreams of. The video replay showed the truth. Even though the umpire later acknowledged his error and apologized to Galarraga, the call made on the field could not be changed.

Through it all, Galarraga remained calm, expressed sympathy for the umpire, and never criticized him. Armando's refusal to retaliate amazed fans, players, and sportswriters alike.

If we insist on fair treatment for ourselves, we can become angry and frustrated. But when we embrace the Bible's wisdom, we will seek the welfare of others. Proverbs calls us "to perceive the words of understanding, to receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, judgment, and equity" (1:2-3). Oswald Chambers said of our personal dealings with others, "Never look for justice, but never cease to give it; and never allow anything you meet with to sour your relationship to men through Jesus Christ."

When we experience unfairness, it is our privilege and responsibility as followers of Christ to respond with honesty and integrity, doing what is right, just, and fair.

How others handle justice
May not be up to me;
But when I react to others,
I must show integrity. —Branon

Life is not fair, but God is always faithful.

My prayer:

Heavenly Father, thank you for making me aware of the imperfections I have, and the willingness to still love me as Your own. Help us to be able to change our ways, acknowledge, and exemplifying, the love of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in our lives. Not for our glory but Yours. Help us to make the most out of EVERY opportunity, to bring others, and ourselves, closer to You. Thank you Lord. In Jesus name we ask and claim these things, Amen!

God Bless,
David B.

Duke0002