OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

16 Ga Remington Turkey Getter

Started by Mr16Gauge, September 05, 2011, 03:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr16Gauge

Anyone uisng an old school Remington 870/1100 in 16 ga for their turkey getter?

Preacher

I have a old browning 16 not the sweet 16,  it was made before that,  some day I hope to find a load and take one with it.
Romans 8:37

Mr16Gauge

Thanks

Just heard from a friend that he bought a Mossberg 190 16ha bolt gun for his turkey getter next season.

Should be interesting

The Cohutta Strutter

I've got an older 56' Belgium Sweet and the newer Japanese Sweet. The newer model has the screw in chokes. I've thought about seeing what the newer model would do with the heavier shot....dunno. We might be missing the boat with this gauge as far as turkey hunting goes..... but unlikely as I've seen many people here post up awesome patterns with their 20's especially with the heavier shot. The Cohutta Strutter.
Anybody seen America lately?

Preacher

On those old Brownings  : Cant you tell the year the gun was made by the serial #?

The Cohutta Strutter

Preacher, yes, you should be able to find the year it was made from the serial number.  I'm assuming you have one to identify but I don't have the info needed in order to help you. Two great sites on the web are Shotgun World and 16ga. There are people on these sites that know the Brownings inside out. Unless your Browning is extremely rare they will have your answers in no time. :icon_thumright:

Mr16Gauge

Both sites are awsome for 16ga support and information.

The newer Remington 16s, while heavy and handle load a canoe paddle, have the modern metal makeup to handle modern shot loads.

Seems like a fun project for a "different" turkey getter.

Thanks for the follow up.

The Cohutta Strutter

Yes I agree it would be an interesting project especially if one chose to work up loads with TSS. Can't see where it would'nt be a viable option as a solid turkey gun even out to 45 to 50 yds maybe.....dunno. I know Ithaca made a recent run of their 37 pump in 16 and Browning made a run of the Sweet 16 I believe sometime in the 80's. These two examples  should allow for the heavier shot to be used out of guns that I believe were built on true 16 ga frames thus incorporating the weight savings and handling charateristics of why a 16 ga is so attractive  to a fairly large number of people. Now if we could get one in a 3 inch version on a true 16 ga frame......WATCH OUT,lol.

Mr16Gauge

Great idea however, 2 3/4 in 16 should be a pleanty!

:z-guntootsmiley:

Preacher

Ok folks I dont mean to highhjack your thread,  but I need help , my old browing a-5 16 ga. serial # is x84124.    its not a sweet 16 I dont think,  but I have spent the las 90 min of my life on the world wide web and I have goten no where!!!!!!!     Please help I would love to know the man. date .   Thanks

The Cohutta Strutter

Preacher, with your permission I can post the serial number over on Shotgun World to get the year. It sounds like you have a standard 16. Is the serial number on the bottom of the receiver? Also, is the X stamped above the number or is it all stamped in a straight line? Let me know.....

Preacher

Yes you have my premession,   thank you so much for your help , and yes it is on the bottom of the reciver, and it appears to be in a straight line,  one more thing the barrel is stamped " special steel".

The Cohutta Strutter

Okie, hopefully we will get a answer back today. :icon_thumright:

Preacher

If I had a mess of turnip-greens I would give them to you,   in all seriousness,   Thanks.   please dont go to any trouble.

The Cohutta Strutter