Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Does anyone use Hevi-13 in straight #5s???

Started by TheSportsman, September 03, 2011, 06:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

With all the talk of the MBs, 6s, and 7s.... has anyone patterned or messed with any of the Hevi 13 3" 2oz #5s or the 3 1/2" 2 1/4oz #5s?  I guess everyone is going for real pattern density so most dont mess with 5s?  Just seems like all the talk is with 6s and smaller.  Just seems like straight 5s would make a great hunting load...  What kind of choke constriction works best with 5s in a HTL load?

renegade19

Can't help you bud.  I shoot Hevi's in the #7 (great results) and Winchester Supremes in the #4.  Again with great results. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: TheSportsman on September 03, 2011, 06:37:03 PM
With all the talk of the MBs, 6s, and 7s.... has anyone patterned or messed with any of the Hevi 13 3" 2oz #5s or the 3 1/2" 2 1/4oz #5s?  I guess everyone is going for real pattern density so most dont mess with 5s?  Just seems like all the talk is with 6s and smaller.  Just seems like straight 5s would make a great hunting load...  What kind of choke constriction works best with 5s in a HTL load?

I shot a lot of the "OW" shells with #5 shot and still have about a case of them. I have a friend that has shot those shells for years and swears by them. He's taken a lot of turkeys in the last few years, so I won't argue with him about that.

The "OW" #5 shot shells did just fine but the #6 was so much better, more pellets of course, that I always concentrated on them.

I have not shot any of the new "Bronze" Hevi-13 shells in straight #5 shot, so I can't be of any help to you there.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

TheSportsman

thanks guys, gonna stick with the 6s and MagBlends in the HTL loads.... I love copper coated lead 5s, but HTL loads are just plain better.

hookedspur

Quote from: TheSportsman on September 03, 2011, 10:40:20 PM
thanks guys, gonna stick with the 6s and MagBlends in the HTL loads.... I love copper coated lead 5s, but HTL loads are just plain better.
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

mcgruff1533

The whole point of using HTL shot is to take advantage of the increased pellet density.

HTL pellets weigh more than lead pellets of the same shot size.   HTL gives us the ability to use smaller size shot, that hits equally as hard as lead, and increases the pattern count.     

Shooting HTL #5's would be similar to buying a Ferrari and then burning regular 87 octane fuel.    Sure, you'll have the knockdown power, but most of the performance you paid for will be lost.

For Turkey hunting, Hevi #6 or #7's are where it's at.   For the even heavier stuff like TSS, 8 or even 9 shot still packs more than enough punch and gives awesome pattern numbers.

surehuntsalot

I have both Hevi 13 and Federal HW in #5 that I hunt with especially in some of the heavy brushy areas that I get dragged into every year,also when it starts greening up I have been known to load a #5 up
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

VAHUNTER

i used #5's in lead for years and years. but with the results that you can get with Hevi #6's and 7's there is no reason to use #5's or larger anymore.
Good things come to those who wait

gobbler74

6's is as large as I prefer in Hevi shot, 5's will definitely do the job though. I couldnt get them to pattern well even for 5's.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

3" 870 Shell Shucker

In 20 Gauge, the Hevi13 1.25 Ounce #5's throw a "very" tight pattern through a Remington Super Full .572 choke at 35 yards.  Not really big numbers, but they would easily smoke a Coyote well past 40 yards, in a 20 Gauge.

BigPeck215

i shot some H13 3-2-5's couple years back, it shot in the 120's out of a jellyhead out of my 870SM, i would have no problem taking them out hunting today, those 5's make a big hole

LBSS

I want to try hevishot straight 5s in my 10ga but might just wait till the mag blends come out

3" 870 Shell Shucker

In a 12 Gauge 870 or Model 500, try a .665 Indian Creek with #5 HTL. 

I recently looked at an old pattern I had shot, and #5 XRHD produced a very even 13"+ pattern at 40 yards.  Only slightly better numbers than #5 Lead, but the pattern numbers would doubtless hold up farther than Lead would.  Just one pellet would be able to do the trick every single time, with all of the power a #5 would deliver to a turkey's head or neck.  It wouldn't hurt to at least pattern a few.....

But I prefer the 7's, 6's, and Magnum Blend.;)

redleg06

when Remington first came out with heavy shot, I used the 5's and killed quite a few birds with it.

I had a Nova and shooting a 670 pure gold, they were deadly but ultimately I saw the logic behind moving to 6's and didn't look back until mag blends came along....and now TSS.