turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 gunsmith

Started by gobblergls, August 29, 2011, 08:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblergls

I'm looking for a good gunsmith who can improve the trigger on a 500.  I'd like to hear from someone who has had it done.

mcgruff1533

I would think any local gunsmith should be able to clean up the trigger pull on your Mossberg 500.   Usually polishing the engagement point between the sear and the hammer will improve your trigger significantly.

I've never shot, or owned a Mossberg 500, but the trigger in my 535 is one of the best shotgun triggers I've ever experienced.    It came right out of the box with a nice, crisp 4 pound trigger pull that is free of creep and breaks like a glass rod.     I'd be super happy if my rifles came with a trigger that nice right from the factory.

gobblergls

I sent one of my Mossies off to a reputable smith and was told that he couldn't do anything with it.

natman

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on August 29, 2011, 10:17:07 PM
I would think any local gunsmith should be able to clean up the trigger pull on your Mossberg 500.   Usually polishing the engagement point between the sear and the hammer will improve your trigger significantly.
It is possible to improve a conventional Mossberg 500 trigger by polishing the sear/hammer interfaces. Disassembling the trigger group to the point required is not for the faint of heart, and it is HIGHLY advisable that you take pictures along the way to establish where all those springs and pins originally were. Having done a couple, while the trigger was improved, it still wasn't good enough for a rifle, although was adequate for a shotgun.

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on August 29, 2011, 10:17:07 PMI've never shot, or owned a Mossberg 500, but the trigger in my 535 is one of the best shotgun triggers I've ever experienced.    It came right out of the box with a nice, crisp 4 pound trigger pull that is free of creep and breaks like a glass rod.     I'd be super happy if my rifles came with a trigger that nice right from the factory.
Does your 535 have the new LPA trigger with the blade in the trigger? I wish they were available separately.

gobblergls

Natman,
Thanks.  I may just get some snap caps and starting shooting and shuckin'. I've heard that can help.  Too bad it doesn't come with the LPA.

mcgruff1533

[/quote]
Does your 535 have the new LPA trigger with the blade in the trigger? I wish they were available separately.
[/quote]

Nope, it's just the plain old standard type trigger.   It is seriously one of the best triggers I've ever experienced and that includes a Timney unit installed in my old Remington 870.

It's a true departure from the "Lawyer Triggers" that are creepy, gritty and excessively heavy.

allaboutshooting

I also had a 535 with a great trigger and my 930 and 935 also have great triggers. They have the standard triggers and not the LPA. I have a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 that has a very stiff trigger pull. I've been working with it now for a while and it has gotten some better with use. Unfortunately, the LPA is not currently available on the 20 gauge model.

I've looked a the fire control unit on that gun, and I'd have to agree that "Disassembling the trigger group to the point required is not for the faint of heart..." Frankly, the trigger is the only thing that prevents that 20 gauge from being just about perfect.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

natman

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on August 30, 2011, 11:16:15 AM

Nope, it's just the plain old standard type trigger.   It is seriously one of the best triggers I've ever experienced and that includes a Timney unit installed in my old Remington 870.

It's a true departure from the "Lawyer Triggers" that are creepy, gritty and excessively heavy.

Then I suggest you go right out and buy a lottery ticket before your luck changes.  ;D