OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Some help PLEASE

Started by BigGobbler, August 19, 2011, 12:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigGobbler

Ok not looking to steel any ones trade secret but just some help.Since I have been pestering my wife to go with me turkey hunting My boys thought it would be nice to buy us a pot call kit off ebay for an anniversary gift so we could build it together for our first hunt together this spring. Its a walnut pot, glass, over slate, with a hickory striker. Here is the problem, whatever I do I can not get that sucker to sound anything like a turkey after I glue it up. I used two sided tape to test fit and try things before I glue it and it sounds pretty good. You all ever have this problem any solutions.

redarrow

The two sided tape has foam that is probably muffling the sound.Use plumbers goop for glue and reassemble.

BigGobbler

Quote from: redarrow on August 19, 2011, 05:05:25 PM
The two sided tape has foam that is probably muffling the sound.Use plumbers goop for glue and reassemble.
redarrow I only used the tape to test the sound.I did use goop to glue it

stone road turkey calls

I have a good idea where you got your call, send it back and have him send you anouther one. could just be a bad call, i have a few each year that just don't sound good, they make good fire wood. good luck
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

handcannon

On your glass, do you have good contact with the lip of the call with good, even glue around? When I first started turning, I used a F clamp in the center of the glass thinking I would get even pressure all the way around the glass. Instead, I was putting too much pressure on the center which bowed the glass and lifted it to make a slight gap between the striking surface and call. It was evident afterward cause I could see air pockets under the glass. The sound was usually dull and nasaly. It's better (for me) to use a few small spring clamps around the edge and give it plenty enough time to dry before removing.

If that's not it, you might wanna just chalk it up as a dud and either contact the seller or find another seller and start over.

BigGobbler

Sounds like I just better Buy one already made LOL

handcannon

Buying one, thats fine. You show you have an interest in doing it yourself so dont give up on it so quick. Once you get your first call sounding good, next thing you know you will be wanting to do it again and again. It's a lot of fun building calls and I encourage you to give it another try, even if it is a kit your starting out with.

TarheelTurk

Quote from: handcannon on August 20, 2011, 09:57:58 PM
Buying one, thats fine. You show you have an interest in doing it yourself so dont give up on it so quick. Once you get your first call sounding good, next thing you know you will be wanting to do it again and again. It's a lot of fun building calls and I encourage you to give it another try, even if it is a kit your starting out with.

X2 I never in my wildest dreams woulda thought i'd enjoy making calls. But I do and dont give up!! You may may want to try a different striker too.....Jus an idea!
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

Preacher

use a different glue on the sound board,  I use 5 min epoxy ,    when you do use the goop on the calling surface,   put a weight on it and let it set for 24 hrs.   you may be pleasntly surprised.
Romans 8:37

pappy

Here is a trick from an old call maker...Make Sure Your surface is flat....when you use plumbers goop take a tooth pick and evenly spread the glue around the edges; then when you apply your sound board, gently twist it in a clockwise direction while pressing down on it, this will eliminate any air bubbles and insure an even application of glue distributed around the soundboard. When you apply it to the ledge of the pot do the same, making sure your not over loading it because any glue that will seep over the ledge has a chance to come in contact with the soundboard and kill your call. Hope this helps, pappy...ALSO DO NOT QUIT WE NEED NEW BLOOD IN THE CALL MAKING HERITAGE
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

BigGobbler

Dang It take me 5 years to try all the suggestions given LOL You all are a great bunch on here Thank you all.