OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help with Moss. 835

Started by unworthy, February 15, 2011, 09:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unworthy

I recently purhcased a Mossberg 835 UltiMag. The gun has ported barrel and a Mossberg Turkey choke.  What rounds are producing the best patterns with this setup?  I hear good things about Winchester Xtended Range 3-1/2" #5's... Thanks for the help   :z-guntootsmiley:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: unworthy on February 15, 2011, 09:54:19 AM
I recently purhcased a Mossberg 835 UltiMag. The gun has ported barrel and a Mossberg Turkey choke.  What rounds are producing the best patterns with this setup?  I hear good things about Winchester Xtended Range 3-1/2" #5's... Thanks for the help   :z-guntootsmiley:

I don't know about what choke you have.  But I'm going to say that most Moss 835's will shoot their best patterns with Hevi-13 3.5" 2 and 1/4oz #7's or #6's.  Some guys will like better penetration and go the 6 route and others will like the better shot numbers that the 7's will give you.  I like the 7's better than the 6's for that reason.  But the 6's will work well, too.  I would say try a better quality turkey choke like Indian Creek or Pure Gold.  You probably will see better patterns vs the Moss turkey choke.  

knightrider

you need a better choke, after shooting mine with the factory choke it deffinately isnt that great

Skeeterbait

There is no reason to shoot any heaver than lead shot bigger than #6.  You will get much better overall paterns with the increased number of shot in #6 or #7.  The 835 factory chokes are too open.  The 835 patterns best with chokes in the .670-.675 range. H13 #6 and #7 give awsome patterns.  I personally perfer the higher velocity and uniform shot size of Winchester XRHD #6.  I can personally tell you from a followup shot I had to make on a running bird last year that XRHD #6 will break a turkey's leg bones from 52 yards out.

My setup is Winchester XRHD 3.5" #6 and Indian Creek .675.  Here is my pattern.  H13 will give a few more shot in the pattern but I trust the penetration of the Winchester better.

drum817

Here is a picture of my favorite combo out of my 835.  I use a Indian Creek .675 choke and Winchester Xtended range 3.5", 2oz, #6's........

Here is a 40 yard pattern....

Here is a 30 yard pattern.....

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

sugarray

Skeet, how does one make you feel better than the other, they are the same?

I would have to agree with them.  Win XR #6 and Hevi #6 or #7 are great loads.  A PG or IC will be a great option in the 835.  I shoot TSS hand loads, but if not, it would be one of the 2 above shells.

Skeeterbait

Quote from: sugarray on February 15, 2011, 10:29:17 AM

Not quite.  The Winchester are loaded to a higher velocity and the pellets are all uniform size.  The H13 has some stuff in there that is much smaller.  Smaller and lower velocity will not penetrate as well.  With the Win shot being all the same size I know each pellet has the same penetration ability.  Number of holes in paper is not the total picture.

SR1

I am shooting the Win.HV 2oz load in #5 shot out of a Jellyhead .690 choke. I am getting great patterns with it but am gona try some Heavy 13 and Nitro loads out of it this year.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

sugarray

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 15, 2011, 10:47:56 AM
Quote from: sugarray on February 15, 2011, 10:29:17 AM

Not quite.  The Winchester are loaded to a higher velocity and the pellets are all uniform size.  The H13 has some stuff in there that is much smaller.  Smaller and lower velocity will not penetrate as well.  With the Win shot being all the same size I know each pellet has the same penetration ability.  Number of holes in paper is not the total picture.

absolutely right there, thanks for your benefit of thinking, learning something new every day.  Just wonder what is getting pushed out to remember this new stuff?   ;)

allaboutshooting

Quote from: unworthy on February 15, 2011, 09:54:19 AM
I recently purhcased a Mossberg 835 UltiMag. The gun has ported barrel and a Mossberg Turkey choke.  What rounds are producing the best patterns with this setup?  I hear good things about Winchester Xtended Range 3-1/2" #5's... Thanks for the help   :z-guntootsmiley:

First of all, congratulations on your new gun. I've seen Mossberg 835s shoot some of the best patterns out there. They are great patterning guns. I would recommend that you "deep clean" the bore. It helps so much, regardless of the shotshell or the choke that you use.

I shoot an 835, a 935 and an older SSI-ONE, all with the same bore as you new 835. They all throw great patterns. The original choke will work to kill turkeys but the advice that you've received, in my experience, is right on target to give you denser and more even patterns. The original choke is also not rated for tungsten-based shot.

Everyone has a favorite brand of choke but most agree that with lead or tungsten-based shot, a choke with an exit diameter of .670 - .675 will yield better results. After that basic agreement, the "passion" for a particular brand, as noted in a thread not long ago, comes about. In reality, most will work quite well with that gun, it's largely a matter of how much you'd like to spend for a choke.

I shoot a lot of different brands of shotshells. I see the best patterns with that gun as well as most others, either with the Hevi-13 brand of shells or with the Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density shells. They both work and both have their adherents, just like the different brands of choke tubes. I'd frankly recommend that you try whatever shell is most available to you in your area.

Whatever you choose in the way of a shotshell or choke, you have a great shotgun that should serve you well for many years to come.

All my best this spring.

Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

StreetHowitzer

Personally I like the H13 3" 2oz #6 through an IC choke. I have some Win XR, but it didn't pattern as good in my gun, but I think it was #5.
~Anthony

goblr77

Buy a Star Dot choke if you're lucky enough to find one. Indian Creek would be my second choice. I switched from 3.5" Xtended Range #5's to Hevi-13 2.25 oz. #6's, pellet counts in the 10" circle at 40 yds doubled. I killed two birds between 45 and 50 yards last season with the #6's. I'm switching to Hevi-13 #7's this season and will feel comfortable pulling the trigger on a bird as far as I can put 100 pellets in a 10" circle. Hope this helps.

VAHUNTER

the ultra turkey choke that comes with the 835 is a great choke. i used that choke for the first 8 years i owned my gun. i had great success using the cheap Remington Nitro's with that choke. i have also shot Rem. Hevi shot through it
Good things come to those who wait

paturkeyhntr

I use the Jellyhead choke and HeviShot 3.5  2 1/4 oz #6 shot.