turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

bps 10

Started by LBSS, August 17, 2011, 05:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBSS

Hey y'all new member here and my "weapon system" for turkey is my bps 10 30" barrel wood stock. I have a trulock .680 and a wadwizard supreme and a briley light mod for it it.  I have only patterned #4 win hv out of it havnt got good patterns I plan on buying some dunns 2 1/4 oz #6 win shells. Im.putting around 60 #4s in a 10" with the .680 and 70-75 #4s with the wadwizard. With the old win 2 1/4 oz #6 I put 170-190 ish in a 10" at 40 yd I ran out before I got this bps though so I havnt pattern them in the bps.  Also plan on getting rhino to make me a. .7000

Here's my.gun with the trulock in it oh yeah it has a 13 5/8" lop I actually like it better than the standard 14+"

drenalinld

Welcome to OG! Great gun. You will get better patterns. Keep us posted.

LBSS

The long barrel makes it look skinny on camera in personal its a pretty hefty gun doesn't even fit in the cabinet with the wadwizard choke here's another picture.  Also lately I've been pattern steel T shot for geese. Also I like the slide release better than.my 870 and m500 is bigger and doesn't feel like a butterknifes blade lol. Im actually going to pattern it now

LBSS

Here's what im getting at 40 yards with win hv #4 with trulock 680 102 hits.  I have not used the large pattern paper yet to find my pattern density.

gobbler74

Nice piece of Iron you got there. That is plenty of Turkey gun.

:welcomeOG:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

LBSS

Thanks I also want to try those federal heavyweight #7 and since their discontinued if they droop below 25$ a box I will buy some maybe 15-20$ . Id wish they made a duplex load of #5 lead and h13 #6 in 2 1/4 oz around 1100 fps.  I don't care much for the fast recoiling of the 1300 fps+ loads.

Hognutz

There is always Hevi-13. They are supposed to be coming out with a Mag Blend, this spring. They already have #5's. Maybe we'll see #7's someday, as well.. 10ga's are not for the weak at heart. They kick like a mule and they are heavy. Mike :fud:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

LBSS

I don't think its any worse than a 2 oz 3" mag 12 ga in a 7 lb gun.  Also its the only shotgun I use I have done got so familiar with it I don't even notice the weight and I shoot it alot so im familiar with it recoil. Now if I was going to handload it would be a 1 3/4 oz at 1250 fps.  I bought some slugs that were like that from federal.  And they were surprisingly low recoil and comfortable.  So now I like the idea of 1 3/4 oz in a 10 ga.  But I will shoot any thing out of it.  I think the flight control wad is what killed federals heavyweight in all gauges I read that thy were just to picky to pattern right.  Yeah I.emailed hevishot and they told.me by fall turkey season.on magnum blend now when I asked.what payload in oz and shot sizes they wouldn't say I hope 2 1/4 oz .

:z-guntootsmiley:

gobbler74

Quote from: Hognutz on August 18, 2011, 07:16:35 PM
There is always Hevi-13. They are supposed to be coming out with a Mag Blend, this spring. They already have #5's. Maybe we'll see #7's someday, as well.. 10ga's are not for the weak at heart. They kick like a mule and they are heavy. Mike :fud:

Mag blend should be here in a couple weeks last I heard. Maybe 7's by spring
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Hognutz

Thanks for confirming that, Jim...Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

LBSS

Id rather have #6 over 7s I shot a sheet of 3/8" plywood anthe 7s didn't penetrate the 5 & 6s did.

gobbler74

I trust 7's whole heartedly at 45 yards at 1240 and feel safe at 50 in the nitro load. Ive been shooting 6x7's for awhile. At 1200fps the 10 ga mag blend will be fine. I will switch to all 7's in that shell at 1200 if it gets made.

LBSS

Yeah I guess a turkey head is softer than 3/8" plywood lol.  You think a h13 straight 7 would pattern or be less picky about chokes than the fedheavy weight?

gobbler74

Quote from: LBSS on August 23, 2011, 05:59:29 PM
Yeah I guess a turkey head is softer than 3/8" plywood lol.  You think a h13 straight 7 would pattern or be less picky about chokes than the fedheavy weight?
Definitely.
HW is bad medicine and is still a fine shell. I mean you can tweak 180 out of it and even more with the right setup and thats fine and plenty for hunting. If I wanted to chase a turkey down and strap a 10" circle on him I'd have to lose a few lbs. Them things hammer like hell on recoil but they do the job better than most.   :icon_thumright: