Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Devotion - Wednesday - 8/10/11 - Corpse

Started by lightsoutcalls, August 10, 2011, 10:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Have you ever just stopped for a few minutes and thought about "when was the last time I did something for someone... just because?"  It's so easy to get caught up in our own schedules, accumulating stuff, etc.  When difficulties arise, we may remember to pray and seek God.  Think about the last time you were going through difficulties, whether they were financial, relational, spiritual... 
    Often the thing we most fondly remember about our trials is when God provides a way out.  Frequently this begins or at least is impacted by another, someone prompted by God to bring relief.  Sometimes it comes in the form of a listening ear, an encouraging word, a hot meal or a financial blessing.  I have been the recipient of each of these and could quickly give an example of each at a difficult time in my life.  Each was equally needed at the specific point and time.  Each filled the most specific need in the situation.  God knows what we, and others need to encourage in times of difficulty.  He longs to provide and often chooses his people to carry out His work on this earth rather than supernaturally meeting needs through "cosmic interventions". 
    Lets take a look at what James had to say:

James 2:14-20

The Message (MSG)

Faith in Action
14-17Dear friends, do you think you'll get anywhere in this if you learn all the right words but never do anything? Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it? For instance, you come upon an old friend dressed in rags and half-starved and say, "Good morning, friend! Be clothed in Christ! Be filled with the Holy Spirit!" and walk off without providing so much as a coat or a cup of soup—where does that get you? Isn't it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?
18I can already hear one of you agreeing by saying, "Sounds good. You take care of the faith department, I'll handle the works department."

Not so fast. You can no more show me your works apart from your faith than I can show you my faith apart from my works. Faith and works, works and faith, fit together hand in glove.

19-20Do I hear you professing to believe in the one and only God, but then observe you complacently sitting back as if you had done something wonderful? That's just great. Demons do that, but what good does it do them? Use your heads! Do you suppose for a minute that you can cut faith and works in two and not end up with a corpse on your hands?

God has designed us to be "ambassadors" of His blessings.  For those who have experienced the ultimate gift of salvation through Jesus, we are to share God's mercy and grace with others.  His giving to us should be contagious.  It should flow out from us in ways that will bless others.  Will blessing others look the same from day to day, from person to person, from situation to situation?  Likely not.  If we only ask, God will show us the "who" and the "how" as we go through our daily lives. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

Duke0002

True and powerful words, Wendell.  Thank you.