turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tractor Help?

Started by guesswho, July 30, 2011, 02:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

HELP!  I NEED MECHANICAL HELP! :DI need help with a tractor problem.  I have a 1950's Ferguson TO30.  It has been converted to 12v from 6v.  

SymptomsThis morning I was on it and it just quit like you turned the key off.  I checked everything and started it back up, it would run about 1 second and shut off.  Finally I pulled the choke all the way out and was able to go another 100 yards before it shut off again.  I cleaned the positive and negative cables from the battery the best I could.  Both cables get real hot when you engage the starter, I mean smoke coming off them.  And one time the starter didn't want to dissengage, I had to take the positive cable off the battery to get it to stop.  

Any ideas to what may be the problem?  Coil, solenoid, voltage reducer, all the above?  

If the voltage reducer (12V to 6V) is bad what would the symptoms be?  
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

kamski1151

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

rtsj

Check your Push button starter switch. Might be sticking.

Tail Feathers

The cables overheating make me think maybe the voltage regulator/reducer but I'm not much of a mechanic. :help:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

jde

volt regulator bad easy fix

guesswho

Replaced the voltage reducer, nada.  It's still sitting in the woods.  I checked the coil and it appears it might be bad.  I'm getting no fire to the points now.  I put a meter on the coils pos and neg poles and got an ohm readin 0f 1.5.  Put it in the center of the coil and one on the pos and nothing, same with the neg pole and center.  I guess I'll try a new coil and points, then if that don't fix it I'll replace the voltage regulator.  And if it still doesn't run after that, well ya'll remember my hat?

I do have another question.  If it's been converted to 12 volt from six volt do I buy a 12 volt regulator or a six.  The coil thats on it now says its a 12 volt and an external resistor is required :-\    What confuses me is it has a generator instead of a alternator, but it does have a 12 volt battery.  I've had it for about 10 years and have had very little trouble with it, I just don't know wether to replace the parts with 12 volt or 6 volt parts.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

redarrow

If you haven't done so already   www.yesterdaystractor.com   These guys are tractor gurus.

GobbleNut

If I was you, I would contact the NWTF about it....... ;D
(Sorry,...just couldn't resist, Ronnie.  Unfortunately, I don't know squat about mechanics either, so I can't help you out with any real constructive suggestions.
good luck with it....)

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on August 01, 2011, 04:00:53 PM
If I was you, I would contact the NWTF about it....... ;D
(Sorry,...just couldn't resist, Ronnie.  Unfortunately, I don't know squat about mechanics either, so I can't help you out with any real constructive suggestions.
good luck with it....)
So what your saying is, you as much about tractors and tractor restoration as the N"WTF knows about turkeys and turkey restoration ;D.  The N"WTF" said they would fix it for me if I gave it to them so they could disc up all that N"WTF" land thats open to the public.  I told them they could do that with it in it's current condition, brokedown!

I ordered a push button starter, 12 volt coil, 12 volt voltage regulator, and point's and condenser for it.  Hopefully that will fix it.  If not I may have to hold another private ceremony :TooFunny:
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Preacher

you may have gotten your points mixed up, or you distriburator cap may have mositure in it.   
Romans 8:37

mmclain

My 50's Ferguson did the same thing.....it was grounding out.....the starter positive wire touched the block.....look between the starter and the block....

guesswho

Quote from: mmclain on August 01, 2011, 09:56:41 PM
My 50's Ferguson did the same thing.....it was grounding out.....the starter positive wire touched the block.....look between the starter and the block....
Will do, thanks.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff