OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Big box stores= lighter Hevi 13 payload?

Started by mcgruff1533, February 14, 2011, 07:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgruff1533

I just came back from my closest Bass Pro Shops store about 250 miles from my house.    Upon returning home, I realized the payload was lighter than I'm normally used to.

Normally, I've been buying Hevi 13 loads of 3-2-7 which sell for $18-20 for 5 rounds depending on location.     Bass Pro Shops were selling 3.5"-1.75-6 shells for $15.99 per 5 round box.    At first, I thought the price was good until I realized they were selling a larger shell, with a lighter payload.    I wouldn't be as pissed if they bumped the velocity up a little bit, but they must have reduced the powder charge to allow typical velocity of 1090 fps.

Anybody else notice similar sneaky marketing tactics at big box type stores?

Gobble!

Yes. Those stores just sell more of those shells becuase they are cheaper and still hevi shot. Some have got good patterns with the cheaper shells though.

mcgruff1533

I'm thinking the shells will shoot fine.   It just sucks getting hoodwinked by a store that I've been patronizing for 10+ years.

chatterbox

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on February 14, 2011, 08:09:43 PM
I'm thinking the shells will shoot fine.   It just sucks getting hoodwinked by a store that I've been patronizing for 10+ years.
I would return them for the 3-2-7. I have not heard very good things about the lighter payload in those shells.

pullit

I have some of the older 3.5" 1 3/4oz Hevi #6's that turned in really good numbers.

R AJ

Bass Pro is supposed to have a sale stating Feb 21 down here so I will see . Those are shells that they want to get rid of just like 10 shell per box 20 gauge #6s. Watch it if it seems too good to be true. Remember that there is a $5 per box rebate going on for H-13s up to 4 boxes.

mcgruff1533

Quote from: RAJ on February 14, 2011, 08:28:55 PM
Bass Pro is supposed to have a sale stating Feb 21 down here so I will see . Those are shells that they want to get rid of just like 10 shell per box 20 gauge #6s. Watch it if it seems too good to be true. Remember that there is a $5 per box rebate going on for H-13s up to 4 boxes.

Good information!   Sadly, I bought these shells from a retail store and not their catalog/ internet.    Driving 250 miles each way to the store is out of the question, and I'd be looking at quite a few dollars to ship the ammo both ways.    Regarding the purchase, I did take notice the shells were 1.75 ounce payload, but I didn't register the exact difference until I got home.

Exchanging the 3.5-1.75-6 shells for Hevi 3-2-7 is not possible since BPS does not sell them in their stores, internet or catalogs.    I'll shoot them, it's going to cost me too much $$$ to do anything else with them.

Odessa

Actually the lighter loads are sold in more than just BassPro shops; all I could find locally were the lighter payload Hevi-Shot loads and those came from local gunshops here in eastern NC.  I finally got some 12 gauge Hevi-Shot 3-2-blends and 3-2-5's at at two different local shops after the season closed last year.  Last week I was in Gander Mountain and they had 12 gauge 3-2-5 Hevi-Shot loads.  Seems pretty sporadic on what is in stock vs. what I want.
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I got 155 in 10" at 40 Yards with the 3-1.75-6 shell in my IC .665 Choke.

That will definitely work every time, but it won't impress the forum crowd.

I say shoot 'em.

hookedspur

My gun does poorly with the lighter loads .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Tranz

I purchased some Hevi 13 3" 1.75oz #6 loads from Mid-South Shooters Supply and cut one open....it was loaded with a mix of 7.5 & 8 shot. Patterns great, but not what they say they are. Curious if your 3 1/2" shells are truly loaded with 6s.

BigPeck215

According to Bass pro when the lighter hevi shot shells came out they were not that popular and bass pro invested a lot of money in those shells as you can see they are one of the only major retailers still selling them after they have been discontinued. when those shells flopped they cut their losses with hevi shot and decided not to carry the newer more popular 3" 2oz and 3.5" 2.25oz until they sell all of their back stock of the older shells

all i can say is i havn't been to a basspro in a couple of years and there is a reason for that...... Cabelas

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Tranz on February 14, 2011, 10:23:22 PM
I purchased some Hevi 13 3" 1.75oz #6 loads from Mid-South Shooters Supply and cut one open....it was loaded with a mix of 7.5 & 8 shot. Patterns great, but not what they say they are. Curious if your 3 1/2" shells are truly loaded with 6s.

no, the 3-1/2" shells are a mixture of 6,7,7.5,8,8.5,9 and on down just like the 3"
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

surehuntsalot

I bought some of the 3.5" "green" light load Hevishot in #6 before (real good price) and got some very good #'s out of my 835
it's not the harvest,it's the chase