turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trying something different

Started by Jbird22, February 14, 2011, 07:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

Well after 3 misses last year I have decided to try something a lil different. I added a Burris Speed Bead to my 870 recently and decided to sight it in and shoot a few different combos today. I am looking to open my patterns up a bit this year since the majority of my shots are 30 yds and in. Here is what I came up with this afternoon:

Sheets are 24x36 and pics were taken where core of pattern was concentrated. Sorry no 10" circles but I really don't value them as much as I used to.

1. Rem 870 12 ga, H13 3.5" 2.25 oz. #6 @ 30 yds with Rem Factory Full Choke

2. Rem 870 12 ga, Win Super X 3" 1-7/8 oz. #6 @ 30 yds with Kick's GT .655

3. Rem 870 12 ga, Win Super X 3" 1-7/8 oz. #6 @ 30 yds with Primos JellyHead .665

Conclusions:
1. I will shoot the #2 combo in my areas where shots will be 30 yds or less.
2. I will test the #1 and #2 combos @ 40 yds tomorrow to determine which one I will use where shots are possible out to 40 yds or slightly more.
3. I like the Speed Bead so far since I can now shoot with both eyes open.

Gobble!

With the tight patterns most are shooting these days I feel that a scope of some sort is a great help. Especially when the birds are inside 20 yards. All three of those patterns look good. I think there will be a big difference at 40 yards however.

jakesdad

Those patterns look good and will work great when you get it dialed in.I agree with using a scope or some sort of sight.I do not use a scope,but use a williams type rifle sight on my 20.helps me make sure i keep my head down and aim where i'm supposed too.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Jbird22

Quote from: JohnDoe on February 14, 2011, 08:38:31 PM
Try Hevi in 3" #7 with the JH 665 it should out do all those and still work well at 40+ when needed.

John

I actually have the H13 #7 in 3.5" 2.25 oz. and you're right, when paired with the JH 665 it will certainly shoot tighter than all of the above. However, my objective is to open my pattern up a bit. Last year I got it WAY too tight for the type of terrain I was hunting and ended up missing all 3 birds I shot at. :(

Jbird22

Quote from: Spuriosity on February 14, 2011, 08:31:18 PM
Those lead patterns look great @ 30 yds. Looks like 40 would be no problem at all. I love the FF II on my 1187. I'm sure you'll love the SB as well.

I was quite pleased with the lead patterns also honestly. At $10 for 10 shells it's tough to beat the Win Super X shells for what they do. I used to shoot the old Federal Premium 3" 2 oz. #6's through that Kick's GT 655 when I first started hunting and killed a few birds on out there a ways. This load reminds me a lot of them. I just hope I have similar success with them.

Jbird22

Quote from: JohnDoe on February 14, 2011, 11:15:12 PM
I was more talking about #7 having a better pattern overall and still kill at 40+. I think the solution to your problem will be your site.

John

Oh ok, I misunderstood you. You are probably right. Those 7's do throw a mean pattern.

hookedspur

I like the 7s and they have plenty of stopping power.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bowhunter32

goblr77

Those gray box Winchester #6's are a steal for how good they pattern.

Jbird22

Quote from: goblr77 on February 15, 2011, 09:18:37 PM
Those gray box Winchester #6's are a steal for how good they pattern.

You are right about that. They are truly a bargain for $1 a shell!!!