OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Custom Calls vs. Production Calls

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 14, 2011, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think that custom calls give the hunter a great advantage in calling in a gobbler, or that any production call will do the job just as well?

Yes, a handmade call brings em running like no mass produced call can!
33 (41.8%)
No, it doesn't matter as long as it sounds passably like a turkey.
39 (49.4%)
I just like custom calls because they make me look like a better turkey hunter.
7 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 76

FttFttVroom!

IF you can get a decent made mass produced call, they will work provided the operator knows what he's doing.  I've had hit and miss luck buying wal-mart type calls.  I've never gotten a bad hand stretched custom call!

flyrod444

I know there are many production calls that sound good on the market today, but the custom calls I have traded my calls for over the years have all been top shelve. I just got a short box made out of some chestnut I salvaged and it is over the top. As far as locater calls go, I will put my crow call or two other custom crow call makers calls up against any crow call that is mass produced today.
Jack

Idaho Gobbler

Why not make your own custom mouth calls? I tried using production calls and one out of ten worked to my liking. SO I ordered a call kit from myelkcall.com and make calls that work for me for about $16.0 each. Yes there was a short learning curve, but now I make my calls to my specifications and trim tape to fit my mouth. I also use my kit to make elk calls. Might be worth checking out.