North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Custom Calls vs. Production Calls

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 14, 2011, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think that custom calls give the hunter a great advantage in calling in a gobbler, or that any production call will do the job just as well?

Yes, a handmade call brings em running like no mass produced call can!
33 (41.8%)
No, it doesn't matter as long as it sounds passably like a turkey.
39 (49.4%)
I just like custom calls because they make me look like a better turkey hunter.
7 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 76

StruttinGobbler3

Ok guys, I'm bored, so I thought this would be an interesting poll. I understand that a lot of this question depends on how good the man behind the call is, but for the sake of debate lets assume we have a very experienced turkey hunter that can run the fire out of a turkey call. Do you think he stands a better chance of killing a bird with a custom, or does it matter? I have my own opinion of this, but this one should get interesting.  ;D Enjoy.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

ClayW

Theoretically speaking.... I don't think it matters.  It's the same argument we hear about decoys...

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

harvester

I have a couple "custom" calls that wouldn't even raise one's head other than to run away. I also have some productions calls that sound really really good. It all depends on what an individual wants out the call. Something thats sounds turkey or something that is turkey. Most of the time it is all about presentation, some days they will gobble if you rub two rocks together, other days you need to sound like the real deal. I have wasted more money on production calls than I would care to admit. So with that said, I save my money and buy the good stuff. Most of the custom call makers will stand behind there calls and they are the ones that will get my money from now on out.

guesswho

Production calls will fool a turkey any day of the week.  With that said there are a few custom call makers out there that will make any production call sound sub-par.  A good custom call will sound far better that most production calls, but thats not needed to fool a bird.  But there are also a lot of custom call makers that produce calls that don't sound as good as the production calls you see.  Be careful.

I don't see any advantage of a good custom call as far as killing turkeys go.  The advantage of a custom call is you know who actually made the call and they usually stand behind thier calls.  Also some continue to appreciate in value.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

OLE RASPY

All my pot and box calls are production calls and ive never had a problem.I have a couple custom mouth calls that i really like.With that said it doesnt mean that im not going to purchase a custom call some day.Custom calls to me are fancier in design and looks cool but looking cool dont kill turkeys.Not saying that custom calls dont kill turkey im just saying that they look better.Custom calls are made one by one so its less likely to have a defect while production calls are not and one bad may slip out the door and on to the shelf and im likely to buy that one.Most custom call makers stand behind there product,while production calls u may have trouble.Just my .02

VAHUNTER

as far as pot calls. i have a couple that has been real good to me. one is in my vest now. mouth calls is another story. years ago when Mr. Kirby was producing his mouth calls they was pretty good. today i would never choose a mass production call over a hand stretched call. JMO
Good things come to those who wait

StruttinGobbler3

For the most part I agree with all of you. 90% of the turkeys I've killed in the past eleven years have fallen to a production or mass produced call. However, I do appreciate the quality that comes with having a handmade call. I have a couple mouth calls from Tom Teasers that seem to crank the birds up on a more regular basis. Also, the mailman will soon be delivering me a slate call from Wendell of Lights Out calls. Real interested to see how that one turns out.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

bird

Quote from: guesswho on February 14, 2011, 07:26:28 PM
Production calls will fool a turkey any day of the week.  With that said there are a few custom call makers out there that will make any production call sound sub-par.  A good custom call will sound far better that most production calls, but thats not needed to fool a bird.  But there are also a lot of custom call makers that produce calls that don't sound as good as the production calls you see.  Be careful.

I don't see any advantage of a good custom call as far as killing turkeys go.  The advantage of a custom call is you know who actually made the call and they usually stand behind thier calls.  Also some continue to appreciate in value.

:icon_thumright: :agreed: :icon_thumright:

shootumindaface

Quote from: bird on February 14, 2011, 07:34:26 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 14, 2011, 07:26:28 PM

:icon_thumright: :agreed: :icon_thumright:
X2 One trip around the Convention floor will teach you all custom calls are not created equal..

Jbird22

A turkey doesn't care whether it's mass produced or custom. As long as it will fool a gobbler that is all that matters. BUT, I do feel like custom calls are far more consistent than production type calls, especially when referring to mouth calls. You will find the stretch of the reeds to be VERY close to exact from one to another. That's how it is with Hook's mouth calls anyway.

FLAhotdog

I've run some so called "custom calls" that sound no better than something off the shelf @ Walmart.

StruttinGobbler3

QuoteI've run some so called "custom calls" that sound no better than something off the shelf @ Walmart

Well, there are some Wal Mart calls that are better than others. For instance, I have yet to see any custom call that can bring gobblers charging in like the Squealing Hen.  :TooFunny:

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

VAHUNTER

i have been waiting over a year for a custom squelling hen!!! come on guys get it done  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Good things come to those who wait

Jay

I prefer to use a call before I buy it, no matter who makes it. My Dale Rohm box, that has called in a lot of Turkeys, I bought after I used it, and technically wasn't for sale. $ latter it was mine. It's all about the sound, not the bells and whistles. My Rohm is a plain Jane,that probably sold for $5 originally.

hookedspur

No it must be the call you have the most confidence in , by that you have to run it knowing that it will work , if not you don't play from the heart.With that said it can be any call in your vest you run well !
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions