OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Sunday Devotional 07/24/11 Learning to let it go!!!!!!!

Started by pappy, July 24, 2011, 12:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

Be angry but do not sin, do not let the sun go down on your anger, and do not make room for the devil. Ephesians 4:26 (NRSV)

We live in a time when so many people are full of anger, it is evident by the road rage we see every where. Notice that Ephesians 4:26 does not say, "Do not be angry," but instead it reminds us "not to sin in our anger" or as a result of our anger. What does that mean? The next part of the verse is the answer. It is essentially telling us not to hold onto our anger. When we hold onto our anger we become bitter. Bitter people are not pleasant to be around and lose out on so many blessings.

Perhaps you are thinking about someone who has really wronged you, and you feel justified about hanging on to your anger. Let me direct you to the cross of Christ. When Christ hung on the cross he prayed, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do." God in the flesh prayed for the very people who nailed Him to a cross.

Forgiveness is the way we let go of our anger. Forgiveness does not mean we condone what others do. It simply means we let go of our anger towards them. Lewis B. Smedes said of forgiveness in his book, "Forgive and Forget: Healing the Hurts We Don't Deserve" that when we forgive it creates "a new beginning out of past pain that never had a right  to exist in the first place."

The first step to healing is forgiving, the best direction comes from God's word and Christs' example. Everyone has been hurt, but NOT everyone has forgiven those who have hurt them, let me say, there is no greater feeling of being free then the one that comes with letting go of our bitter feelings towards someone who has hurt us. pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Duke0002

4nwtf

This is so true.  I carried anger towards someone for 5 years and I was so bitter and angry that it affected many aspects of my life.  Once I finally forgave the person I became a different person, happier and enjoyed life more. Thank you for these powerful words pappy!

pappy

4nwtf....this is exactly what Christ is searching out, those of us who have been hurt willing to move on to a better life, being bitter effects everyone around us, especially those we love. Finding peace within is a blessing that can never be replaced with anger or malice.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

lightsoutcalls

Anger and bitterness can cause a person to build a wall between himself and the perceived perpetrator of the wrong in an effort to avoid additional emotional pain or hurt.  Ever had someone that you bristled at just the mention of their name?  BINGO! 

Good reminder!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Roostem33

Great devotional Jack, I used to carry anger around a lot until someone reminded me that I was only hurting myself. Thanks!!

Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

turkey slayer