OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

(Pattern Pics Added)Mossy 935 - 3.5" Mag Blends - Sumtoy .675 & Tru Glo SSX .670

Started by JUGHEAD, July 24, 2011, 12:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUGHEAD

FINALLY got out and shot my new to me Mossberg 935 (24" barrel) a few times today in the sweltering heat.  My barrel had just been polished.  I alternated back and forth between the 2 chokes for a fair comparison as the barrel got more dirty.  The SSX was shots #1, 3, and 5.  The Sumtoy was shots #2, 4, and 6.

The 3 shots for the SSX, in order, were 237, 255, and 241 in a 10" circle at 40 yards.  The 3 shots for the Sumtoy, in order, were 208, 215, and 260.  Haven't had a chance to count the 20" circles yet....been a LONG day.  Will try to get some pics up of the patterns in the next day or so.    

JUGHEAD

SSX Shot #1 - 237:

SSX Shot #2 - 255:

SSX Shot #3 - 241:

Sumtoy Shot #1 - 208:

Sumtoy Shot #2 - 215:

Sumtoy Shot #3 - 260:

Thoughts?  Advice?  Opinions?  Remember...I'm relatively new to this turkey hunting and patterning stuff.

SumToy

I see something with this.  I have always said shoot a few rounds of junk out of the chokes.  I like to see 5 or 6 junk shells to settle the chokes in.  This will let you see the POI and all to know it all ok before you hit the big loads.   I think that is what happen with this from the way the numbers look.  I say a you about got it brook in so you may see it pick up a few more.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

JUGHEAD

Quote from: SumToy on July 24, 2011, 09:33:33 PM
I see something with this.  I have always said shoot a few rounds of junk out of the chokes.  I like to see 5 or 6 junk shells to settle the chokes in.  This will let you see the POI and all to know it all ok before you hit the big loads.   I think that is what happen with this from the way the numbers look.  I say a you about got it brook in so you may see it pick up a few more.
OK...I can do that for sure.  I'm a rookie at this and never even thought about doing that.  I just cleaned the choke the same night I polished my barrel and then went right to the Mag Blends at the range.  I REALLY liked the way things were headed with your choke on that last one, but I was simply out of time (took my 7 year old son with me and he was at his patience breaking point  ;D).

SumToy

Yup most the times they get better after a few shoots.  If we need to drop it down to the 670 we will just let me know what you see after next time you shoot.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

ILIKEHEVI-13

William is probably right on what he said.  Chokes tend to settle in and only shoot better with some shots through them.  Don't know why that is.  But I have also seen great chokes shoot super dense patterns right away.  Those are some good patterns with the mag blends.  I would set them aside and shoot the straight 7 3.5 loads and you ought to pust 300 or more with both those chokes.  That's why I like shooting them.  It may be overkill, but that's fine by me.

JUGHEAD

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on July 24, 2011, 10:27:54 PMI would set them aside and shoot the straight 7 3.5 loads and you ought to pust 300 or more with both those chokes.
I've got 4 boxes of those in the 2010 shells.  Interested?  ;D

Seriously though, I think I'm gonna stick with the Mag Blends.  It's not that I think the 5's and 6's buy you a whole lot, it's just the added velocity on the 7's that I like....gives me a little more peace of mind (for the way I hunt....in the woods 95% of the time) than having a few more pellets on target....only takes 1 or 2 and I've got well over 200....even at 40 yards.  I can't fathom getting a shot over 40 yards in the woods/mountains after hunting them in that terrain pretty hard last year.  If by some chance I did get a shot at 50 though, my yardage estimation was off by 4 or 5 yards, whatever...I'm still gonna end up with lots of confidence.  It helps that I smoked every bird I shot at with the 3" blends last year too though.

mossy835

The three inch mag blends do well in my 835 also. I think for me as you stated this is going to be my choice too. The 7's do perform well in three different shotguns but so did the mag blend loads. All are turkey killers to me.

davisd9

I really like the 3" Mag Blends in my 835 also.  I used 6s this past year and am happy with them also.  I did not get blow away numbers with it but a great hunting pattern that is real even and that is all I am going for.  I want dead turkeys not tore up paper/cardboard.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer