Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Devotion - Wednesday - 7/20/11 - "If"

Started by lightsoutcalls, July 20, 2011, 10:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Is it just me, or does anyone else not even want to turn on the news or open their browser homepage and see the news of the day?  It seems our nation and the world in general has become evil beyond what we could have imagined growing up.  "Political correctness" and "tolerance" are words used to justify many of the varied issues that have contributed to the moral/social decline of our nation and the world.  I find myself becoming angry and desiring to respond in ways that are just plain un-Christlike.  The exact outcome the deceiver desires from those who call themselves Christians.  This kind of attitude left unchecked can lead to using logic and our own perceptions and reasoning rather than trusting God to be who He is, the ruler and sovereign Lord over all.  Is it wrong to be angered over sin, the tolerance of sin and even our government promoting sin and the acceptance of it?

Proverbs 14:34

New Living Translation (NLT)

34 Godliness makes a nation great,
      but sin is a disgrace to any people.

I think that answers the question sufficiently.  So, what are we to do? 

Proverbs 3:5-7

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
      do not depend on your own understanding.
6 Seek his will in all you do,
      and he will show you which path to take.
7 Don't be impressed with your own wisdom.
      Instead, fear the Lord and turn away from evil.

God's word is clear.  Our focus is to be on God rather than the evil of this world that can so easily distract us.

Hebrews 12:1-2

1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith...

O.k.  So we are supposed to keep our eyes on Jesus.  We are supposed to endure the "race" before us.  What does that look like in an evil world, and how can it make a difference?

2 Chronicles 7:14

New King James Version (NKJV)

14 if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Things in our society and nation are not going to change for the better until God's people begin to follow God's word. PERIOD.  We are given clear instruction in how to promote real "hope" and "change".  When we as individuals and then as a body of believers spend time seeking God's face, shutting out all other distractions, repenting of and turning from those things that trip us up, God will begin to move on our behalf. 

Are you sick of what's going on around you?  Are you completely tired of the degradation of our nation and society?  Do you long to see a return to the things of God?  Change is contingent upon your action.  Your action provokes a response from God.  Read the last verse again and emphasize the words IF and THEN.  Recognize that change begins with you (and in my case,me). 

Have a blessed day!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Roostem33

Quit watching the news about four years ago unless there is bad weather in the area. Thanks for sharing Wendell!!

Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

BOFF

Thanks Wendell,

Kinda a tough decision about the news. I don't receive a newspaper, or watch the news on tv, due to the reporting of negative things. However, I find I am still accountable to know the "goings-on" of the world around me. A thin line, as it's kinda hard to go into battle and not be knowledgeable about  one's enemy.

Fortunately, God's word is clear on what we need to do, as you noted:

Proverbs 3:5-7

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
      do not depend on your own understanding.
6 Seek his will in all you do,
      and he will show you which path to take.
7 Don't be impressed with your own wisdom.
      Instead, fear the Lord and turn away from evil.

God Bless,
David B.