OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Finally

Started by backforty, April 27, 2024, 10:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backforty

The birds in my area have been tough this yr and the weather has been terrible. Most mornings they are done gobbling shortly after hitting the ground. I finally found one to work.
 A buddy and I were setup in a draw cuz we had 20 mph winds with gusts of 40. He had to leave at 0830 to go to work so we sat together until then without seeing anything. When he left he sent me a text that he saw a gobbler cross from a closed area into our area. We hunt a military base so they open and close certain areas based on training. I sat there debating going after that bird or staying where I was when another buddy sent me a pic of a gobbler in the closed area that my other buddy had just watched the one cross from. I now had one bird in the area I could hunt and one just across in the closed area. I knew there was a long spur between the two birds I could setup on so I hustled the half mile up to the spur. I cleared the cedars and could hear one gobbling on the end so I found a spot to sit and gave a few soft yelps that he immediately answered. I waited and heard him gobble again at a thunder clap, this time he had moved to my left, so a slid that way on the tree. He gobbled again and had moved farther left and was approximately 80 yds out. I made to soft yelps and instead of him answering a bird directly behind me gobbled just over the lip at about 50 yds. I changed directions again and shortly after he popped over the lip strutting and drumming. I let him close the distance to forty and when he craned his neck to have a look gave him a dose of my federal heavy weight #7 out of my H&R single shot. the whole event only took about ten minutes and was right before the big storm hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Print by Madison, on Flickr

RutnNStrutn

Congrats!! Good job sticking it out in iffy conditions.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Congrats on your gobbler

Tom007

Persistence pays in turkey hunting, now more than ever. Congrats on a fine gobbler! Thanks for sharing....
"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Sorry just found this, great story and congrats again!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

boatpaddle

Congratulations!!

Beautiful picture...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Last Frontier Hunter

Been so windy this year. Great work!

sbbow

Congrats on a nice bird!

Sanders153

Tomtom97

Great job forty!

Tail Feathers

Congrats on the bird!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Turkeybutt

Thanks for sharing the story and photo persistence and patience always pays dividends when hunting turkeys!
Congratulations. 

Badger

A great story.  Congrats.

dublelung

Congrats on the gobbler!

turkey stew

Congrats on an exciting hunt and fine gobbler!