News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thank you gift

Started by Charlesg, April 27, 2024, 05:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlesg

Hey guys,

I'm overseas this turkey hunting season and just got pictures of one of my friends who just got his first turkey this year (maybe his 15th total).

It got me thinking, I'd like to give him a thank you gift for teaching me turkey hunting and giving me this passion. I lived about hours away from him so he invited me to roost some gobblers in the evening, have dinner with his family, lent me most of the gear I used that day, called in the gobbler and got me my first  Tom. All free of charge.

I don't see him often as we live far away now (but we share pictures and hunting stories every few months. I know he only has diaphragm and pot calls. I was thinking of having a wingbone call made by a great maker delivered to his place.

Do you think it'd be a nice gesture, or would it be too much? Not too sure how to feel about this but I've been thinking about it for a while.

Cheers

Greg Massey

I think it's a great idea, what turkey hunter / friend doesn't like turkey calls... A call like that is pretty special in my opinion.

Sir-diealot

I think 400 acres of land should do quite nicely. All kidding aside I would be sure that he has an interest in that kind of call first, they are not as easy to learn for many people and a box call may be a better idea. I think it is a kind gesture, I gave some buck/doe calls that Mike Yingling makes to the 3 owners of the property I hunt and they were quite grateful.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

sbbow

That would be a nice gift!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

turkey stew

Super gift he would enjoy every turkey season!

3bailey3

Sure it would be much appreciated!!

tad1

Charles, that's an awesome idea! Don't overthink this, do it!
        JT

Notsoyoungturk

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 27, 2024, 09:35:15 AMA call like that is pretty special in my opinion.

I have a couple of calls that were gifts, they are some of my most cherished.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Marc

I think such a call would be a great gift...

I would like a Trumpet call myself, but know nothing about them.

When I purchase a call as a gift, I am generally purchasing a call that I have some experience with.  Last calls I purchased for others were scrathers from Lonnie Gilbert.  I have used several scratchers, and had the best experience with his calls.  He put some personalized engraving (with their names) on them, and they sound great...

If I wanted to get a bit more spendy, I would go with a good custom box call or long box call from a call maker I have had a good experience with.  I would also have it personalized with engraving...

Me...  I would love a good trumpet or wingbone call...  I would also enjoy learning to use it... 

Good luck...  It sounds like your friend is lucky to have you as a friend!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.